Paula W's Reviews > A Passage to India

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

With everything going on this week, I can't help but think that this novel is still timely and relevant after all these years.

The book had a bit of a slow start for me. However, it was important for the author to fully describe exactly what life was like in British-controlled India, from where they lived to how they lived to who they interacted with and under what circumstances they were allowed to do so. Rampant racism and religious intolerance didn't only occur between the British and the Indians; they also divided Indians themselves. In situations like that, when a crime occurs, the lower classes are subject to profiling according to stereotypical untruths. Kinda sounds like something that happened yesterday.

It did pick up later on, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book as a whole. Maybe one day we as a global society will be able to see and appreciate each other's differences. Maybe one day we will realize that different colors, religions, backgrounds, cultures, and beliefs help to paint a broader and more inclusive picture of humanity rather than insisting that only one color, one religion, one background, one culture, and one belief can be correct. Maybe one day people will stop saying, "I don't see color" and instead say "I see color, I appreciate the differences, we can learn from each other, and diversity is good." Until then, thank whatever god you worship (or don't worship, because that's okay, too) for novels like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Passage to India.

December 7, 2016 – Shelved
December 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 23, 2017 – Started Reading
January 26, 2017 –
page 30
January 26, 2017 –
page 30
10.24% ""In our Father's house are many mansions, they taught, and there alone will the incompatible multitudes of mankind be welcomed and soothed. Not one shall be turned away by the servants on that veranda, be he black or white; not one shall be kept standing who approaches with a loving heart.""
January 27, 2017 –
page 50
January 28, 2017 –
page 109
37.2% "Finished Part 1. It is a bit slow going, yeah?"
January 30, 2017 –
page 209
January 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Susan O I agree completely. Well said!

Paula W Thank you, Susan!

siriusedward Beautiful.
I esp loved "I see color, I appreciate the differences, we can learn from each other, and diversity is good>
This is my wish too...not just in case of color but everything.

Paula W siriusedward wrote: "Beautiful.
This is my wish too...not just in case of color but everything."

Thanks! I saw at you placed it on your to read list. Stick with it through the slow beginning; it is really good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did