willaful's Reviews > Second Grave on the Left

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Jul 08, 2011

bookshelves: psycho-jealous-protective-possessiv, hero-makes-me-swoon, made-me-shiver, relationship-on-the-rocks, made-me-laugh, cliffhanger
Recommended for: fans of kick-ass heroines
Read from October 01 to 03, 2011

(spoiler-free review)

3.5 stars. Like the first in the series, this was fast-paced to the point of franticness, and somewhat exhausting to read. Our heroine Charley is an incessant wise-ass, to the point that I was starting to wonder what swoony Reyes sees in her. By the end of the book she was showing more of her tender and vulnerable side though, and I felt the magic again. (Though I can imagine some readers thinking her too much of a Mary Sue.)

My main gripe other than that was that as the plot gets underway, suddenly everyone Charley talks to has new information about Reyes that they’ve never bothered to mention before. It felt false the first time it happened and increasingly irritating the next 500 times.

I’d recommend reading First Grave on the Right before this one; Jones does a good job of recapitulating the essential info, so it’s not hard to follow, but you’ll miss out on some good surprises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Grave on the Left.

Quotes willaful Liked

Darynda Jones
“His gaze slid over me like a veil of fire. He could ignite my deepest desires with a single glance. I decided right then and there no more reading romance novels by candelight.”
Darynda Jones, Second Grave on the Left