Bee's Reviews > Hit List

Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jul 08, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal

Warning: rant about the Anita Blake series in general about to commence.

I'm a long time fan of Laurell K. Hamilton. I started reading when she only had three books out, and despite my current frustration with her writing I have faithfully continued to read the entire series.

I don't mind reading about sex, even graphic depictions of sex. I do mind when an author starts turning a strong, interesting female character into a two-dimensional woman with a magical vagina who everyone loves and desires. The character Micah is a joke and has no real personality and the action sequences (when she has them) are sloppily written.

All that being said, Hit List was pretty good. I like the character Edward and always enjoy books with him. Anita Blake only had sex with one new man. I think my biggest complaint about this book and the progression of these novels in general is that in each one, Anita and her men take on bigger, meaner, and tougher baddies. They never fail, and Anita keeps getting stronger and stronger and with new amazing never seen before powers. A true main character hasn't been killed off in a long time. "Perfect" heroines are boring and comes off as lame wish fulfillment on the author's part ("She's not perfect! Her flaw is that she's beautiful but doesn't know it..." ugh gag me).

Will I continue to read the Anita Blake series? Yup. (unless they all start reading like Flirt) Will I continue to bitch? Probably...unless Laurell K. Hamilton can make Anita a little more accessible, slightly less slutty, and stop adding details that seem awkwardly auto-biographical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit List.

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Well, you are stronger than I am. I gave up on it after about 6 books. Anita just got too slutty for me. I liked her better when she kept her pants on for at least part of the book.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg Lol, the magical vagina bit made me laugh. So true, and I agree this one is a bit better.