karen's Reviews > Big Mushy Happy Lump

Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen

bookshelves: youre-a-graphic-novel, netgalley

congratulations, 2017 goodreads choice winner in graphic novel & comics!!

oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best graphic novel! what will happen?

photo IMG_9464_zpsfzyjhi4o.jpg

this is both very similar to and very different from Adulthood Is a Myth.

thematically, much of the same ground is covered: procrastination, social awkwardness, the joy of comfortable clothes, the irritants that go along with being female, self image, and the bullying inner voice we all have that keeps our ego in check.

however, while adulthood was a collection of unrelated cartoons (and NOT a graphic novel, goodreads), this one contains some longer-form pieces where we get more insight into what makes sarah andersen tick, which makes it a good companion book to Introvert Doodles: An Illustrated Collection of Life's Awkward Moments, as both address the difficulties the authors have with the world's expectations of being a social person to someone who is not naturally that way inclined, and how much human interactions can suck.

photo IMG_9466_zps98s5rukx.jpg

and as honest and laudable as I Don't Know How to Be a Person was, i'm much more drawn to one of the other long-form pieces called SADIE (How I Learned to Get Over Myself and Love Cats), which is about how she went from being alienated by the internet's catcentric obsession:

photo IMG_9150_zpsfed5zerx.jpg

to accidentally becoming a crazy cat lady like the rest of us through the fuzzy mind-control of a loaner-cat named sadie.

photo IMG_9467_zps9xekzsxx.jpg

and now she is one of us

photo IMG_9462_zpscdlbtkw2.jpg

well done, sadie! more bodies for the calvary!

as with adulthood, there are plenty of scenarios very familiar to my own experiences. some that i think are true for many:

photo IMG_9143_zpsmk59ss9g.jpg

photo IMG_9144_zpsdla2dvb6.jpg

some that i know are familiar to all the ladies out there:

photo IMG_9148_zpszktrztoz.jpg

photo IMG_9147_zpsjcxrwoju.jpg

and some that fall into the "i thought i was the only one!!" category:

photo IMG_9465_zpsapzt2mgn.jpg

there's also some nice giggle-pokery at insufferable people

photo IMG_9146_zpsk6unefic.jpg

and, while i understand it is not the point she is making, i am interpreting this to be a bold anti-bird stance, which you know i'm on board with

photo IMG_9145_zpstxuacpsm.jpg

so, another fun and funny collection which only strengthens my resolve to be sarah andersen's bestie.

sarraahhhhhh…. come to maaaaaaggie!!

photo IMG_9278_zps2r270oof.jpg

although this will probably not be tolerated.

photo IMG_9463_zpsklyetf1f.jpg

***************************************************
i did not turn my computer on once during the holiday weekend. and it felt great, but also very stressful. so when i saw the first cartoon in this collection, my heart recognized a kindred spirit:

photo IMG_9142_zpssjxojyvu.jpg

thank you for putting my feelings into pictures, sarah andersen!

full review to come

********************************

someone plz gimmie a heads-up if this comes onto netgalley!!

come to my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Mushy Happy Lump.

December 6, 2016 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

karen CupCakeGirlLover wrote: "heads up"

that's a great practice run, but i'm more interested in when it actually becomes available on netgalley, that's when i want the heads up.

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) I just saw this on netgalley as a read now.

karen AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH thank you!

Erin Yep, just downloaded it!

Akella Richards OK

KingKnb Read Till U Fall this is ok book

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I have GOT to start getting these!

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Amen

message 9: by Jay (new)

Jay and you i can ot see you zo yeh in the picture

⟪Spim45⟫Blazingflame⟪(^¬^)/ /(·^·)\⟫ no offences to the author of this book but the cover look like it is for kinders.