Hirdesh's Reviews > Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

""A momentary quiet followed, leaving nothing but the sound of the wind and waves. We bobbed up
and back, up and back, waves lapping and curling, the sound of crying filtering through the dark.""

Intense and Glorified writing and character.
Exceptional narration.
My favorite character- Shoemaker
"“I wept because i had no shoes,
until i met a man who had no feet.”

"That is class of writing when reader thinks whether the story is fiction or reality, Just like story line of movie- THE WORDS."
Historical reader, Highly recommended one !
Contented and Superfluous Fiction about WWII time span, It reveals all the circumstances and possessions made by Stalin and Hitler and the different community's person got affected in their own and worthwhile manner.

Few lines I loved -
*"I had the knight’s pack.
The knight had the baby.
The knight would want his pack.
I wanted my baby"
*"There’s a saying, ‘Death hath a thousand doors to let out life; I shall find
one"
*"I knew the legends of the birds. Seagulls were the souls of dead soldiers. Owls were the souls of
women. Doves were the recently departed souls of unmarried girls.
Was there a bird for the souls of people like me?"

*"Yes, always. Your boots, they are expensive, well made. That tells me that you come from a
And your mother is not here, so that tells me that you are sad, my dear. The shoes tell the story."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt to the Sea.

Quotes Hirdesh Liked

Ruta Sepetys
“His smugness was annoying. This was the type of man who looked at a picture on the wall and instead of admiring the photo, looked at his own reflection in the glass.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Your daughter, your sister. She is salt to the sea,”

Ruta Sepetys
“The Wilhelm Gustloff was pregnant with lost souls conceived of war. They would crowd into her belly and she would give birth to their freedom.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Yet amidst all that, life has spit in the eye of death.”

Ruta Sepetys
“You love stories, Emilia. Well, the trees hold hundreds of years of stories. Think of it, everything these trees have seen and felt. All of the secrets are inside of them.”

Ruta Sepetys
“War is catastrophe. It breaks families in irretrievable pieces. But those who are gone are not necessarily lost.”

Ruta Sepetys
“The old man spoke of nothing but shoes. He spoke of them with such love and emotion that a woman in our group had crowned him “the shoe poet.” The woman disappeared a day later but the nickname survived. “The shoes always tell the story,” said the shoe poet. “Not always,” I countered. “Yes, always. Your boots, they are expensive, well made. That tells me that you come from a wealthy family. But the style is one made for an older woman. That tells me they probably belonged to your mother. A mother sacrificed her boots for her daughter. That tells me you are loved, my dear. And your mother is not here, so that tells me that you are sad, my dear. The shoes tell the story.” I paused in the center of the frozen road and watched the stubby old cobbler shuffle ahead of me. The shoe poet was right. Mother had sacrificed for me.”

Ruta Sepetys
“The shoes always tell the story,' said the shoe poet.
'Not always,' I countered.
'Yes, always. Your boots, they are expensive, well made. That tells me that you come from a wealthy family. But the style is one made for and older woman. That tell me they probably belong to your mother. A mother sacrificed her boots for her daughter. That tells me you are loved, my dear. And your mother is not here, so that tells me that you are sad, my dear. The shoes tell the story.”

Ruta Sepetys
“He wanted to know something about me. I leaned over and put my mouth to his ear. It was barely a whisper.
'I'm a murderer.”

Ruta Sepetys
“It's safer for you to stay with the others,' he said.
Safer? He didn't realize.
I was already dead.”

Ruta Sepetys
“What had human beings become? Did war make us evil or just activate an evil already lurking within us?”

Ruta Sepetys
“Per aspera ad astra, Papa,' I whispered. Through hardship to the stars.”

Ruta Sepetys
“I knew the legends of the birds. Seagulls were the souls of dead soldiers. Owls were the souls of women. Doves were the recently departed souls of unmarried girls.

Was there a bird for the souls of people like me?”

Ruta Sepetys
“I became good at pretending. I became so good that after a while the lines blurred between my truth and fiction. And sometimes, when I did a really good job of pretending, I even fooled myself.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Killers aren't always assassins. Sometimes, they don't even have blood on their hands.”

Ruta Sepetys
“I wanted to stay locked away from the pain and destruction. I didn't want to be strong. I didn't want to be the 'smart girl'. I was so very tired. I just wanted it all to be over.”

Ruta Sepetys
“The books, raped and rummaged of their dignity, lay in heaps on the floor.”

Ruta Sepetys
“I wept because i had no shoes,
until i met a man who had no feet.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Death, it seems, has a mind of its own.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Mother was comfort. Mother was home. A girl who lost her mother was suddenly a tiny boat on an angry ocean. Some boats eventually floated ashore. And some boats, like me, seemed to float farther and farther from land”

“Guilt is a hunter.
Fate is a hunter.
Shame is a hunter.
Fear is a hunter.”

Ruta Sepetys
“How foolish to believe we are more powerful than the sea or the sky.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Just when you think this war has taken everything you loved, you meet someone and realize that somehow you still have more to give.”

December 6, 2016 – Shelved
December 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 14, 2017 – Started Reading
March 14, 2017 –
page 60
14.93% "Yes, always. Your boots, they are expensive, well made. That tells me that you come from a
March 14, 2017 –
page 80
19.9% "ENJOYING..........."
page 150
37.31% "Thoroughly going..........."
page 150
37.31% "I knew the legends of the birds. Seagulls were the souls of dead soldiers. Owls were the souls of
women. Doves were the recently departed souls of unmarried girls.
Was there a bird for the souls of people like me?"
page 200
March 18, 2017 –
page 250
62.19% "There’s a saying, ‘Death hath a thousand doors to let out life; I shall find
one"
March 18, 2017 –
page 320
79.6% "Finish it by tomorrow.
Loving it though."
March 19, 2017 –
page 370
92.04% "I had the knight’s pack.
The knight had the baby.
The knight would want his pack.
I wanted my baby"
March 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Sr3yas The epilogue of the book could've been a bit longer!

Hirdesh Sreyas wrote: "The epilogue of the book could've been a bit longer!"

Sorry, but not agree, brother.

Sr3yas Hirdesh wrote: "Sreyas wrote: "The epilogue of the book could've been a bit longer!"

Sorry, but not agree, brother."

Let's agree to disagree then :p . I did enjoy the book though. The sinking of the ships were a historic event that was overlooked by the history!

Hirdesh Sreyas wrote: "Hirdesh wrote: "Sreyas wrote: "The epilogue of the book could've been a bit longer!"

Sorry, but not agree, brother."

Completely agree this time.
Because that time, very kind of different hidden stories was scripted , That's Fiction.
Lovely.

Norma * Traveling Sister So glad to see 5 stars! Wonderful Hirdesh! :)

Hirdesh Norma wrote: "So glad to see 5 stars! Wonderful Hirdesh! :)"

8 Stars out of 10 !.
Thanks, Madame !

Medhat The Book Fanatic I am getting this ones next week.

BTW, I have never ever saw someone disliking it. It must be a masterpiece!

Hirdesh Medhat wrote: "I am getting this ones next week.

BTW, I have never ever saw someone disliking it. It must be a masterpiece!"

Yeah !

message 9: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Espadinha WOW! Beautiful quotes!
Looks like an amazing book!
Congratulations for your review, Hirdesh :)

Hirdesh Maria wrote: "WOW! Beautiful quotes!
Looks like an amazing book!
Congratulations for your review, Hirdesh :)"

Most welcome, Miss !

message 11: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Espadinha Hirdesh wrote: "Maria wrote: "WOW! Beautiful quotes!
Looks like an amazing book!
Congratulations for your review, Hirdesh :)"

Most welcome, Miss !"

I enjoyed all the quotes, but this one is my favourite :

‘Death hath a thousand doors to let out life; I shall find
one" :))

Veronique So heartbreaking but so beautiful written, still think about it a lot! *cries in silence*

Hirdesh Veronique wrote: "So heartbreaking but so beautiful written, still think about it a lot! *cries in silence*"

Yeah, Esp. For Emilia.