Anna Adler's Reviews > Blood of the Sphinx

Blood of the Sphinx by J. Johanis

Dec 06, 2016

bookshelves: dark-mm, paranormal, steamy-hot-romance

Dark MM alert! You know the drill, stay away if this isn't your cup of tea… I had the pleasure to beta read this novella and wow, holy smokes, omg, I thoroughly enjoyed this ride! Sasha is a young pharaoh with a mortifying dilemma. He has a burning, undeniable need to be topped by a man, but what man would dare to top a pharaoh? His desire is getting so bad he can't think straight. While Sasha struggles with his personal problems, his popularity as a monarch hits an all-time low, and then also the Roman forces land in Egypt...

I absolutely love it that even though this is a fairly short story, it has a full-fledged plot with a proper drama arc and a proper ending. No cliffhangers. The events progress fast and the story is full of surprise twists. I was giddy and bouncy while reading. I love this kind of fast-paced narrative that leaves me more than a little breathless! I've read books by this author before and they all have excellent pacing, but she has done a particularly good job with Blood of the Sphinx. I was hooked from the first page and wanted to see how Sasha solves his problems and if he even manages to stay on the throne.

I cared about Sasha a great deal. He's a delightfully human and multifaceted character. On one hand he's young and immature; on the other he's conscious of his position and trying to rule his country. He has a good heart, but when angered he can also be cruel. I found it fascinating to watch him struggle under the external pressure of the impending Roman invasion as well as the internal pressure of the desires that threatened to blind him. And gosh but the sex in this book is hot! This instantly became my new favorite by this author. I'm excited to see that this is the first book in a series and look forward to getting my hands on the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Sphinx.

Finished Reading