Highlyeccentric's Reviews > An Unseen Attraction

An Unseen Attraction by K.J. Charles

Jul 10, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-for-fun, historical-fiction, romance-and-erotica, e-books

Plot-wise, this solved some of my problems with 'An Unnatural Vice' (turns out it helps to read things in order, who knew). It has several threads going on, and handles them all well. In terms of characterisation, Clem is a really good piece of writing on Charles' part - it's clear that he is autistic-or-something-like-it, but that's framed in terms that work in his setting. His position as a bastard of mixed race is mixed in with that with finesse, in such a way that you can tell that the two alienating factors are feeding into each other (a brilliant illegitimate son, or a neuroatypical heir, would both have had very different fates). I like that Clem isn't entirely alone in his family, and his cousin Tim is a good egg.

For some reason, I just didn't *click* with this pairing as well as I usually do with Charles' couples. I found them both, and their wants and their working out of the ways they fit together, fascinating, but not compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unseen Attraction.

December 6, 2016 – Shelved