Catherine ♡'s Reviews > We Are Still Tornadoes

We Are Still Tornadoes by Michael Kun

bookshelves: arcs-and-requests, contemporary, favorites, writing-style, young-adult, romance

Actual Rating: 3.75

This was adorable! It honestly reminds me a lot of Love, Rosie, but perhaps targeted towards a younger audience.

We Are Still Tornadoes is written entirely in letters between Scott and Cath, best friends who have lived across the street their entire lives. But now they've graduated high school, and Scott has to stay at home while Cath goes off to college. Even miles apart, they've got to deal with things like break-ups, crazy roommates, family issues, and the scariest thing of all - the future.

This was definitely a really cute story! I typically have trouble with books that are written in letter format because I feel like I miss out on a lot, but I didn't have that problem with this book. Everything seemed to be explained really well, and the book still felt like a full, fleshed-out story.

In fact, I feel like the "letter" style really worked for this because the entire book centered around Scott and Cath's relationship dynamic, and it really let the readers understand the type of friends they were. However, I do wish there was a little more "progression" in terms of their relationship. While I was reading the book, I completely understood how Scott and Cath's relationship as friends was, but there was barely a glimpse of what they would be like as a couple; as you all know, the best friends to lovers trope is one that has been used over and over again, and although it worked for this book, I wish there was more of a smooth transition; I was a little surprised when they got together because prior to that, there had been no hints that they had ever thought of each other as something other than friends. (Or maybe I'm just oblivious.)

I also wish I knew more about Scott and Cath individually. I did mention that their friendship was evident in the story, but because each letter was shared between the two of them, I didn't get to really delve into the mind of either.

The writing style was definitely a strong point; it was playful at times and serious at others, and it really incorporated all the emotions, inside jokes, and openness that existed between two best friends.

We Are Still Tornadoes was definitely a quick, light read, and I would recommend it for anyone who was looking for something that could brighten up their day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are Still Tornadoes.

December 5, 2016 – Shelved
December 5, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 25, 2017 – Started Reading
February 25, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs-and-requests
February 25, 2017 –
page 1
0.33% "I've never been a fan of the "letter" style but let's wait and see :)"
February 26, 2017 –
99.0% "This was adorable :) Review to come."
March 5, 2017 – Finished Reading