Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3039709
's review
Jul 08, 2011

it was amazing
Read from July 30 to August 03, 2011

A Badass Hidden Gem...

http://badassbookreviews.com/badass-h...

The. Perfect. Escape!

A dark, gritty, gory, post-apocalyptic world is so beautifully represented by the author in Angelfall. Beautiful you say? Yes, beautiful! When you read a book, and in your head you can see the world as vivid as if you were looking outside your window, that is beautiful. I wanted to take the world building in this book and yell to some of the YA authors out there and say, “See, this is how you do it”. Nevertheless, who am I to judge? I suck at writing.

So, I’m sitting in this post-apocalyptic world and it is has been overtaken by angels. WTF? Angels? Yes, really, angels. Not the sweet, cute boy angels we know from other YA books but serious, sword wielding, destroy the human race, type angels. And these angels, they aren’t even fallen!



Ok, so to survive in this world, you need to have some serious skills. You can’t just have the world you know blow up in front of you and know how to survive. Which humans survive in this world? Maybe those with military skills? Maybe those with karate skills? Maybe a young girl of 17 having a homicidal schizophrenic mother; who in an episode of sanity, tells you to do whatever it takes to protect yourself from her moments of paranoia. That’s Penryn.

Penryn is prepared for this new world because she’s been protecting her paralyzed sister and herself from their mom’s dangerous episodes of paranoia.

The author did not trivialize the mom’s mental illness in any way, shape or form. It was heartbreaking and was portrayed so realistically.

So, angels come along and destroy Penryn’s world so she takes her learned survival skills and transfers them to this post-apocalyptic world she now knows.

The problem is Penryn can’t do it all. An angel kidnaps Paige in a moment of nasty revenge. To save Paige, Penryn saves another angel in hopes he will guide her to where the angels are keeping Paige.

Raffe is the injured angel that Penryn saves. What Penryn doesn’t know is she didn’t just save a “normal” angel. There is so much more to Raffe besides his severed wings, and his cocky attitude.

The journey Penryn takes with Raffe to save his sister was action packed, heart wrenching, sad, and even humorous at times. The growth of the relationship between Penryn and Raffe was slow, but perfectly paced and believable.

Some of the dialogue between Raffe and Penryn killed me. I’m not a romantic at heart but when Raffe is trying to push Penryn away, I felt like my heart was breaking. I was wondering if somehow, I turned into a 13 year old with my first crush. There is hardly any romance in this book, in fact, I’d say the only romance is the possibility of romance, and how two characters learn to not only live with each other, but live for each other.

Here is the thing; I go from not writing a review, to not shutting up. Therefore, to wrap up this review, I’m going to tell you what I didn’t like…

Towards the end of the book, some of the characters seemed a bit science-fiction-ey (totally made up word). If the story wasn’t so strong, I’d even cringe a bit. However, I didn’t even give it a 2nd thought until I sat here and wrote the review. I’m just trying to anticipate what others might think when reading the book.

I believe this book is still 2.99! 2.99 you all! I spent 2.99 on one of those fancy Starbuck drinks this morning (and I don’t even touch coffee). Go buy this book! Please, because I really want the author to write more and to do this, we need to give her our support!
108 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.
Sign In »

Quotes Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Liked

Susan Ee
“My mother hums a haunting melody, one that I think she made up. She used to sing it to us when she was in her half-lucid state. A wordless tune that is both sad and nostalgic. It may have had words to it at one point because every time I hear it, it evokes a sunset over the ocean, an ancient castle, and a beautiful princess who throws herself off the castle walls into the pounding surf below.”
Susan Ee, Angelfall

Susan Ee
“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”
“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”
Susan Ee, Angelfall

Susan Ee
“If I was good at marketing, I’d spin you an empty story that sounds profound. But the truth is that we’re all just stumbling around in the dark. Sometimes we hit something terrible.”
Susan Ee, Angelfall

Susan Ee
“I wonder which will get you killed faster—your loyalty or your stubbornness?”
Susan Ee, Angelfall


Reading Progress

07/30/2011
1.0% "Even with the high ratins, and great reviews, I wasn't too eager to read this one. It's just, well, it is YA angel book, how good can it be? So, I read the first chapter (I was curious) & loved it! So, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!" 3 comments
07/30/2011
15.0% "Excellent so far. I love how dark, and gritty the post-apocalyptic world is."
07/31/2011
25.0% "This is NOT a cheesy YA paranormal. It is a dark, post-apocalyptic survival story that just happens to have a 17 year old main character. It is wonderful so far. Great writing." 3 comments
07/31/2011
51.0% "Oh Ee, why are you barely known (in fact, you might think "Oh Ee" is me crying out in pain but "Ee" is the author's last name) but your book is so much better than all the other dystopian novels I read this year? Unless the 2nd half is going to sink faster than the Titanic (yes..I get my cheesy point), this book will definitely be a favorite of mine!" 6 comments
08/02/2011
69.0% ""I don't even like you"... wtf, why? It better be because you like her alot and you are trying to push her away Mr. Angelman!!!!"
08/02/2011
88.0% "Omg, Paige!"
04/26/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)


Christina I enjoyed this! :)


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Christina wrote: "I enjoyed this! :)"

That's good. I liked the first chapter so I'm hopeful I will continue to like it.


Christina Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Christina wrote: "I enjoyed this! :)"

That's good. I liked the first chapter so I'm hopeful I will continue to like it."


;)


Jamie Just ordered this...Can't beat a $2.99 Kindle version!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jamie wrote: "Just ordered this...Can't beat a $2.99 Kindle version!"

Exactly! Even if I'm completely wrong about this book, for that price, you aren't risking alot!


message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I loved it too. So what do you think? YA or not? I'd say not at this point.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "I loved it too. So what do you think? YA or not? I'd say not at this point."

That is a really hard question. I did think about it. I think it is pretty violent, gruesome and definitely don't recommend it for anyone younger than 15. However, I do think since Penryn is a young adult, she sees the world through young adult eyes. For example, when a particular person said a particular statement to her, her reaction was one of a hurt teen that was heartbroken, not one of a seasoned adult. Plus, the way Penryn deals with her mom in the end (hoping that she is finally "normal") really made me feel for Penryn the teenager not Penryn the teen acting like an adult.

So, ignoring all the mess I just wrote, I think it is an older YA book. More like geared towards 15 or 16 years of age or older but I do think adults that love dystopian novels will love it.


message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH It's just that lately if people see angels + young adult, they tend to roll their eyes and pass on the book. I'd hate for that to happen to this book because it was just that good.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "It's just that lately if people see angels + young adult, they tend to roll their eyes and pass on the book. I'd hate for that to happen to this book because it was just that good."

I agree. This is definitely not like any other YA paranormal angels book. It is dark, gritty, gruesome, full of action, a great story and is an entirely unique take on angels.


message 10: by Andi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andi Well, now this is definitely going on the top of my list!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Andi wrote: "Well, now this is definitely going on the top of my list!"

It's funny because I was going to send you a recommendation for this book. I definitely think you would love it.


message 12: by Andi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andi Once I'm done with my current book, I'll definitely read it next. You have gotten me so interested that I cannot wait!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Andi wrote: "Once I'm done with my current book, I'll definitely read it next. You have gotten me so interested that I cannot wait!"

I hope you like it. :)

I'm dying for book 2 and it is going to kill me to wait. It's not like there is a huge cliffhanger or anything, it's just the ending came too quickly.


message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I asked. She's writing it right now. No ETA, but it's being written.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "I asked. She's writing it right now. No ETA, but it's being written."

That's a relief!


Nana Nana I couldn't agree with you more. This one's not like anything I've read so far.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Neeriak wrote: "I couldn't agree with you more. This one's not like anything I've read so far."

Glad you loved it!


message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review, Michelle! You said it so well.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Great review, Michelle! You said it so well."

Thanks AH, I just really want people to support this author. She's an excellent writer.


Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "AH wrote: "Great review, Michelle! You said it so well."

Thanks AH, I just really want people to support this author. She's an excellent writer."


Am definitely going to have to pick this one up. Great review. :)


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Am definitely going to have to pick this one up. Great review. :)..."

Thanks Bonnie. I really think you'll like this one.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead My Kindle copy is loanable so????


Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "My Kindle copy is loanable so????"

Ooh really??


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

This review is exactly how I felt. It is especially spot on about the development of Penryn/Raffe's relationship.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Midnight_Kiss wrote: "This review is exactly how I felt. It is especially spot on about the development of Penryn/Raffe's relationship."

I'm glad you liked the book! I hope lots of people read it because I want the author to continue with the series!


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Ahem. About those skills humans need to survive. Do they have nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...? Sorry, that Napoleon Dynamite quote came to my mind. LOL

I'm off to buy the ebook due to your review, along with Erika's. ;o)


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Anna wrote: "Ahem. About those skills humans need to survive. Do they have nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...? Sorry, that Napoleon Dynamite quote came to my mind. LOL

I'm off ..."


LOL...

I hope you love the book. It is definitely one of my favorite books of the year. In fact, I've become this weird Angelfall review stalker where I go "liking" all the reviews of the book. It's quite disturbing actually.lol. I just love when an Indie author knocks my breath out and Ee (coolest last name ever) has done just that. I want her to get the credit she is due.


message 28: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Michelle, I've done that too! I've been pushing this book to everyone.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Michelle, I've done that too! I've been pushing this book to everyone."

That makes me feel better that I'm not alone in my Angelfall obsession! I even bought the book for a friend that I absolutely knew would love it (plus we were celebrating her new Kindle)!


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Angelfall is downloaded! I will start it now, even though there's this poor library book that's been sitting on my nightstand for weeks.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Anna wrote: "Angelfall is downloaded! I will start it now, even though there's this poor library book that's been sitting on my nightstand for weeks."

Well if you love the book half as much as I did (which I really hope you do), you'll be able to start the library book tomorrow since you won't be able to stop Angelfall (I swear I'm not getting commission off this book)until you reach the end.


message 32: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH What she said^^^


Giselle AH wrote: "Michelle, I've done that too! I've been pushing this book to everyone."

Haha me too! On blogs when I see suggestions wanted this is the one I go with.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Giselle wrote: "AH wrote: "Michelle, I've done that too! I've been pushing this book to everyone."

Haha me too! On blogs when I see suggestions wanted this is the one I go with."


I guess this is word-of-mouth advertising at its best.


Donna Amazing review! I'm grabbing this one NOW. I will manage to squeeze it in somewhere between other books I need to be reading!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Donna wrote: "Amazing review! I'm grabbing this one NOW. I will manage to squeeze it in somewhere between other books I need to be reading!"

I hope you like it!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH did an awesome interview with Susan Ee at http://badassbookreviews.com/2011/09/...

Check it out!


message 38: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Michelle!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead It's official, I'm a real fangirl. There is now a Fans of Angelfall group on goodreads!


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "It's official, I'm a real fangirl. There is now a Fans of Angelfall group on goodreads!"

LOL I am one too, I will stan this book forever.


Melanie OH......MY........GOD! Mind-boggling! Incredibly original and unique. Loved it from start to finish.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Marnie wrote: "OH......MY........GOD! Mind-boggling! Incredibly original and unique. Loved it from start to finish."

Yeah! I do love this book! Can't wait for book 2!


Donna This book was absolutely amazing!! I'm so glad I saw your review and bought this!! It's definitely one of my favorite reads of the year.


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Donna wrote: "This book was absolutely amazing!! I'm so glad I saw your review and bought this!! It's definitely one of my favorite reads of the year."

I just put it in as a "write-in" for 2011 Goodreads Choice awards for "YA Fantasy" book of the year.


Donna Great idea! I'm going to do the same! I asked the author to do an interview on my blog at the end of the year when I feature all of the best books I read in 2011. She's so nice!


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Donna wrote: "Great idea! I'm going to do the same! I asked the author to do an interview on my blog at the end of the year when I feature all of the best books I read in 2011. She's so nice!"

yes she is. Very deserving of all her success. Nothing makes me happier to see an indie author with a successful book and she happens to be a very nice person!!


(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick WOW-what a fab review. Adding to tbr just because of you. :)


(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick And that says a lot because I'm not an angel or apocalypse fan. lol


Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Tori Benson wrote: "And that says a lot because I'm not an angel or apocalypse fan. lol"

I hope you love it!!!!


message 50: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley only .99 cents on the nook too, purchased! can't wait to read it!


« previous 1
back to top