Sara Penny's Reviews > Pull Me Under

Pull Me Under by Kelly Luce

Mar 05, 2017

bookshelves: book-club-reads

I'll admit one of the most appealing elements of this book was the Japan setting, and I loved the snippets of Japanese culture described throughout. The details of the temple pilgrimage were fascinating and led me to seek more details about the trail outside of the book.
But travel inspiration aside, I did really enjoy this read. I loved how the story started off by recalling the narrators time spent in the detention centre; doing so really grabbed my interest and I was invested in the story before I knew it.

As we learned more about Rio as an adult I started to dislike her as she seemed selfish and dishonest. I tried to cut her some slack as her upbringing obviously caused some trust and relationship issues. I can (sort of) also understand how a lie told enough times can be believed as truth by the teller. Rio basically lied a little bubble around herself to protect herself from the truth of her past.

At first mention of the 'black organ' I thought we were going to hear about a Dexter-esque 'Dark Passenger', but it seemed to me that Chizuru was just referring to her heart. Dealing with the constant bullying and casual racism due to her parentage seems to have made 12 year old Chizuru hot-tempered and her heart/black organ reacts strongly to indignation. I wouldn't say that's particularly uncommon, but her reaction to it was interesting.

I never pictured her as a murderer. It wasn't until her husband asked her whether she felt like a murderer that I even really associated that word with her. It certainly wasn't a premeditated act, but it wasn't exactly an accident either, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pull Me Under.

December 5, 2016 – Shelved