emma's Reviews > History Is All You Left Me

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

One of my favourite things about this book was the incorporation of Griffin's OCD. As an OCD sufferer myself, it was nice to read a book that didn't just portray OCD as having a tidy bedroom and washing your hands fifty times a day. I totally understood Griffin's compulsions because when I was younger my compulsions were very similar. I will say though that if you have a similar kind of OCD this book might be triggering - it got me thinking about all my compulsions again, something I've made leaps and bounds on in the past few years. That's not a fault of the book, though; I thought it gave a pretty accurate account of a type of OCD and how stress and grief can magnify the problem a hundredfold.

I also loved how the characters just happen to be gay, rather than there being an agonising confused identity coming out storyline. The fact that they're gay really isn't important to the story at all, which makes a nice change from other things I've read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read History Is All You Left Me.

December 5, 2016 – Shelved