Sophie's Reviews > The Song of Roland

The Song of Roland by Unknown

Jul 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: poetry

"The justification is that 'the pagans are wrong and the Christians are right.'"

"The meaning of the verb decliner here is in doubt: 'to relate, compose, complete, copy, recite, decline in health, approach one's end, etc.'."

"And by the beard which flutters against my chest..."

"The emperor is happy and joyful; He has taken Cordoba and shattered its walls, and demolished its towers with his catapults..."

"You sought advice from your Franks and they counseled you in a somewhat reckless fashion."

"Arrogant advice should not prosper; Let us avoid fools and heed the wise."

"Go and be seated on that white silk cloth; do not say another word, unless I bid you to."

"To my knowledge he is over two hundred years old. He has traveled many lands, his buckler has taken so many blows."

"When Marsile hears him, he kissed his neck; then he begins to open his treasures."

"In his right arm he is bitten by a vicious boar."

"High are the hills and the valleys dark. The rocks are dull-hued, the defiles filled with horror."

"Chernubles of Munigre is there as well. His hair sweeps down to the ground. What at play, he can carry a heavier weight for sport, than four mules can bear, when they are carrying a burden. In the land, it is said, whence they came, the sun does not shine and wheat cannot grow, rain does not fall nor dew collect. There is no stone which is not completely black. Some say that devils live there."

"He draws forth Durendal, his fine, naked sword, and spurs on his horse to strike at Chernubles. He breaks his helmet with its gleaming carbuncles, slices off his coif and his scalp, as well as slicing through his eyes and his face, his shining hauberk with its close-meshed mail his whole body right down to his crotch, and right into his saddle which is of beaten gold; his sword came to rest in the horse itself."

"And the Franks hack and hew. Some Pagans die, some are made to faint."

"The battle is awesome and frenzied; the Franks strike with vigour and with fury. They slice through fists, ribs and spines, and through clothing right down to living flesh. On to the green grass the clear blood flows down."

"No wolf or pig or dog will devour us."

"The clear blood gushes forth from his mouth and in his skull the temple bursts."

"High are the hills, dark and huge."

"Oliver said: 'Now I can hear your voice, but I cannot see you; may god watch over you. Did I strike you? Pardon me for this.'"

"Roland feels that his death is near; Through his ears his brains are seeping."

"Roland feels that death is upon him; it is moving down from his head to his heart."

"Have him put it on his right hand and take this rod of pure gold and let him come to pay homage to me for his fief."

"For his right arm I shall present him with a head."

"The emperor rides on most nobly; he positioned his beard over his byrnie. Out of love for him the others do the same; a hundred thousand Franks are thus recognizable."

"Baligant mounted his war-horse, his stirrup was held by Marcule from Outremer; his crotch is very large and he has slender hips and broad ribs; his chest is large and handsomely formed, his shoulders are broad and his face is very fair, his look is fierce and his hair curly."

"His beard is white, just like a flower, and he is very learned in his faith."

"The emir rides forth through the ranks; his son, whose body is huge, follows him."

"He plunged his golden spear deep into his body, knocking him down dead over a small bush."

"His hair black and his face somewhat tanned. He is not big, but nor is he too small."

"Thierry sees that he is wounded in the face; the clear blood falls on to the grassy meadow.'

"'God,' said the king, 'how wearisome my life is!' He weeps and tugs at his white beard."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Roland.