Redfox5's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Jul 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classics, england, fiction, nineteenth-century

I didn't expect to even finish this book becuase it is a classic and classics (with the exception of Wuthering Heights) bore me to sleep. I was told the film was rubbish and that this wasn't one of Wilde's better books. Well I did finish it and I even enjoyed it. I loved the first half. It made me laugh and had some good quotes. My sister had told me before I started reading this that Wilde was gay. This does come out in his writing. Although none of his characters appear to be gay, I don't think straight men would talk about another man's beauty the way Harry and Basil do. The one thing I didn't like about this book was when it just seemed to describe lots of different people and their clothes. Didn't get the point in this at all. I would also like to know how the portrait gets it's magical quailtys, it's never explaned. I also read a few of the reviews the book had when it first came out, not big fans of the book in the 1890's. I'd read more of Wilde's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Quotes Redfox5 Liked

Oscar Wilde
“All art is quite useless.”
tags: art

Oscar Wilde
“I am too fond of reading books to care to write them.”

Oscar Wilde
“There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book.
Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.”

July 8, 2011 – Started Reading