Susan Johnson's Reviews > The Cracked Spine

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read December 4, 2016 to December 7, 2016.

Delaney Nicholas takes a job at the Cracked Spine Bookshop in Edinburgh after losing her job at a museum in Wichita, Kansas. She packs her bags and is on her way almost immediately. She has no plans or information but just the possibility of an exciting adventure.

As with many cozy mysteries, believability often takes a back seat in the story. The cab driver at the airport befriends her and rents her a small cottage that local residents would give their eyeteeth for. Her fellow employees are eccentric, the characters on the book's pages speak to her and her boss is both very rich and a mystery.

Almost immediately her bosses much younger sister is murdered and Delaney is hot on the trail. She is really pushy and slightly annoying but everyone seems to love her and puts her rudeness down to being an American. I mean who wouldn't be offended by questions about their love life when they first meet someone?

Still it's a fun romp through Edinburgh and the other characters are more pleasant than Delaney.
The author has this one annoying tick of writing "to" as tae and ken as "know" all the way through the book. We get it. The Scots have an accent to us but I think it should up in more than two words. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracked Spine.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
April 6, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
December 4, 2016 – Started Reading
December 4, 2016 – Shelved
December 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey I wish it was that easy to a) make a living working in a bookshop, and b) pick up and move to Scotland. It really really isn't.

message 2: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Johnson LOL

Barbara I also was annoyed with the accent and dialect things. Not even Scottish novels have so much. I think she thought she was being authentic.

message 4: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Johnson I am glad I am not alone.