Crystal's Reviews > Terrier

Terrier by Tamora Pierce

Jul 07, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, mysteries, fantasy, fahrenheit-blog
Read from July 09 to 12, 2011

(OK, maybe more like 4.5 stars. it's not rocket science. but it's really good!)
I grabbed this book at the library because some friends on here love Tamora Pierce and recommend her often, and because it had a cool cover. I was also intrigued by the concept of a police procedural/ young adult/ fantasy magical novel. And I was not disappointed! This book was terrific. Yes, I did guess (accurately) who the villainous person was about halfway through. But there are lots of twists and turns and red herrings, and they run through one of the best constructed, most rich and consistent fictional/ fantasy worlds I've read in a long time. Even the language, from the proper speech of the upper class world Beka has lived in for year, to the Lower City cant she was born into and has returned to work, is engrossing and description. ("Gixie" is one of my favorite new words.)
I also loved the characters. So many of the characters. Beka herself is a strong, intelligent, gifted, and likeable character. She admits to interest in a boy, but it's not the focus of the book. Her focus is her job, which to her is a calling. Her partners are realistic and likeable professionals, and her crowd of (most disreputable but good at heart) friends is lovable and realistic as well. No one is perfect in these books, which is probably why they ring so true.
I wasn't sure how I'd like the magical/ supernatural element. Ghost-hosting pigeons? Dust spinners? But in the context of the story, from their worship of the Goddess and Mithros, to the unpredictable mages, to Beka's otherworldly hearing, all blended into the greater story in a cohesive and interesting way. The world of Tortall is believable in seemingly every way--characters, language, setting, plot, and mythology. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and can't wait to pick up the second one!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terrier.

12/15/2016 marked as: read