Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie's Reviews > Prince & Pirate

Prince & Pirate by Elliot Cooper

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by NineStar Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

I have to admit I wasn't too sure how I felt about this book until I was around 25% or so. While it's labeled as historical, I think it's more of an historical fantasy, as it takes place in a fantasy world. Anyway, if as me, you feel a bit lost at first, please hang in there, I promise you it does get much better.

Prince Gavin has noticed the decline in his father's mental health for the last five years, but he never expected King Malcolm to send him, the crowned prince, away on a sea trip without any guards to look out for him. However, even if he knows it's a suicide mission, it's not like he can say no to the king. What he didn't expect was that he'd find himself kidnapped by the infamous Pirate Drake within hours of boarding the ship that was to take him to the kingdom of Highbron.

Pirate Marcas Drake is not your usual run-of-the-mill pirate, though, and when he realizes that Gavin is not just a diplomat sent to Highbron by King Malcolm, but the crowned prince, he decides that he'll exchange Gavin for a ransom, but in the meantime he can seduce him. He didn't count on his crew to be so supersticious and thinking that Gavin, being a redhead, would be a threat to them all, turning on him and leaving both Gavin and Marcas stranded on a small island.

Gavin isn't too certain if giving into Marcas' seduction attempts is a good idea, but the attraction between them continues to grow, even when faced with a new and bigger threat than they'd had to face until then... the Crimson Queen.

I really liked Gavin and Marcas, even if at first I wasn't sure what to make of the pirate. Marcas ended up growing on me, though, and he ended up being my favorite of the two of them. I loved seeing Gavin grow up throughout the book, until he was a man that could actually rule the most powerful kingdom in this world. They had great chemistry and I just loved their interactions.

I also liked Gavin's sister and the Crimson Queen was so entertaining, even if she was completely insane (or maybe because of that?)

This is not quite a romance, it's more like an adventure book with some romance. It's filled with turns and twists that kept me at the edge of my seat and I was swept away to this fantastic world Elliot Cooper created. Very recommendable!

Rating: 4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince & Pirate.

Started Reading