Roxane's Reviews > Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City

Evicted by Matthew Desmond

The brutal truth of poverty in America is far more devastating than any fiction ever could be. In evicted, Matthew Desmond brings rigorous sociological research and ethnography to Milwaukee's inner city. This book is painful and necessary and eye opening. I am ashamed of how little I knew about poverty and eviction. This book is fucking depressing and hopeless and excellent. We have got to do better. Also the segregation! And racist ass Ned who made his biracial stepdaughters say "white power" while their mom hoped it wouldn't scar them. What???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evicted.

Finished Reading
December 3, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Alma Tello The best and most informative nonfiction book of 2016.

Katie Marsh This book was a real eye opener for me.

Kasia I keep saying that this is one book I wish everyone in America would read. So powerful, important, and absolutely enraging.

Kairee This is my city. I have immense pride for it, but sadly, as a social worker, the shame is just as strong. I would love to see this city grow and support all those who call it home. This book is heartbreaking, due to the honesty it shows it's readers .

Linda Chavers omg i just reached that scene with Ned and "white power." and then his "joke" about Neighbor as the N-word. the man's a FUGITIVE and i just can't.

Chrisolu I was hesitant to read it. I'm mean this is probably the 4th or 5th time I requested it from the library. I would read every other book I checked out besides this book.

Susan Kairee, this book shouldn't make you specifically ashamed about your lovely city. It should make us all ashamed of our country since the same thing happens everywhere.