Julie's Reviews > The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, e-book, hoopla, women-s-fiction

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommends by Katarina Bivald is a 2016 Sourcebooks Landmark publication.

What a wonderful feel good story!!

If you love books about books, you will want to try this one.

Amy, from Broken Wheel, Iowa and Sara, from Sweden, are pen pals who share a love of books. When Sara loses her bookstore job, she decides to take Amy up on her invitation to visit Broken Wheel if she ever got the chance.

However, when Sara arrives, she is stunned to learn that Amy has died. But, the town goes out of their way to make their only tourist’s stay in Broken Wheel comfortable and pleasant.
Overwhelmed by the resident’s generosity, Sara works to pay it forward, and honor Amy and her love of books by opening a bookshop in Broken Wheel. The longer Sara stays, the more attached she becomes to the small little town that has all but dried up, and the residents love her just as much as she does them, giving them all a renewed sense of optimism and hope. Soon, they all begin to wish Sara could stay with them on a permanent basis. But, will she be able to extend her Visa?
I love offbeat and quirky characters, unconventional love stories, and books that imbibe charm and wit, and add just a touch of whimsy to top it all off. But, as a book nerd, a book that features characters who love to read, who love to share good books with others, is always going to get top marks from me.
So, it goes without saying, this book was simply delightful. It’s quirky, funny, sweet, touching! I enjoyed watching the town wake up, as if from a long slumber, and it was wonderful to feel Amy’s spirit moving through the town, as Sara finds an unexpected purpose for her life doing exactly what she loves most.
If you love small towns, stories about friendship and books, this book has your name on it!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend.

December 3, 2016 – Started Reading
December 3, 2016 – Shelved
December 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 3, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
December 3, 2016 – Shelved as: e-book
December 3, 2016 – Shelved as: hoopla
December 3, 2016 – Shelved as: women-s-fiction
December 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Amalia Gavea This is a wonderful review, Julie! I loved Sara so much, it was so easy to connect to her.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Fab review Julie x

message 3: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo Nice review Julie!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm so curious . . . was this as good as the The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry?

message 5: by StMargarets (new)

StMargarets Aww. What a lovely premise for a story. Great review!

Julie StMargarets wrote: "Aww. What a lovely premise for a story. Great review!"

Thank you, StMargarets! I think you would like this one!

Julie Melissa wrote: "I'm so curious . . . was this as good as the The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry?"

Melissa,
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was amazing. This one is sweet, but a lot quirkier. It's good, but not on the same level as Fikry.

Julie Stephanie wrote: "Sounds wonderful, Julie!!"

Thank you, Stephanie!

Julie PorshaJo wrote: "Nice review Julie!"

Thank you, PorshaJo!!

Julie Deborah wrote: "Fab review Julie x"

Thanks, Deborah!!

Julie Amalia wrote: "This is a wonderful review, Julie! I loved Sara so much, it was so easy to connect to her."

Thank you, Amalia! I loved her too. We had the same opinions about certain classics and I think I absorb books the exact same way she does.