Julie Christine's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

bookshelves: best-of-2011, imagined-worlds, read-2011
Recommended to Julie Christine by: Jill

As I turned the final pages of this rare and magical read, I was filled with melancholy and longing. Ordinary life seems so, well, ordinary. I ached to remain a rêveur - a devotee of Le Cirque des Rêves - lost in the black and white gloaming of this circus of illusion and wonder.

This is a story for romantics. It is about the power of magic over fate, of love over destiny, of community over individual will. It is told in a dream-like narrative that unfolds within the vault of your imagination as it intersects with Morgenstern's vivid descriptions. The third person omniscient voice and the present-tense setting work in deliberate contretemps, as you move both with the action and yet above it all. Morgenstern also shifts the setting between chapters (the story takes place in lush, late Victorian Gothic between 1873 and 1903, with present-day making a cameo appearance), allowing sleight-of-hand foreshadowing and memories to tilt her parallel worlds even more off-center.

The book jacket description is deceptive and is perhaps partly to blame for the perceived weakness of the story: that this is a book of settings, not plot. The action is muted, the competition between the two skilled "illusionists" slow to unfold and rarely heated. Do not embark upon this journey thinking you will see sparks fly between dueling wizards, or swoop into a tundra with angels and polar bears chasing mad scientists, or follow the quest of elves and hobbits seeking a cursed ring. You will, however, be mesmerized by a world that seems sinister and pure at the same time.

Morgenstern's allegories do not have the weight of Lewis, Pullman, or Tolkien nor does her story have the addictive immediacy of J.K. Rowling's creations. At times she lets slip a modern colloquialism that rings trite, but on the whole her writing is enchanting. She pays homage to the greatest literary fairy tales and fantasies in her own fashion, creating heroes out of ordinary folk, making burdens out of gifts, and allowing her characters just enough free will to undo what nature has set in motion. It was a joy to lose myself in her beautiful writing, in her unique and colorful world, and in the souls of her tender characters. This was a reminder of why I love to read: for pleasure, to be delighted, to wander away from reality. Too bad I have to be jolted awake. There are some dreams you wish would never end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

July 7, 2011 – Shelved
October 2, 2011 – Started Reading
October 6, 2011 –
page 60
15.0% "Struggling to get into this- it's feeling overwritten- but I shall carry on. Could use a little magic in a generally sucky week..."
October 8, 2011 –
page 180
45.0% "There now, that's better. A couple hours of uninterrupted reading engaged me fully in the magic. I'm hooked."
October 9, 2011 – Shelved as: best-of-2011
October 9, 2011 – Shelved as: imagined-worlds
October 9, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
October 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Suzanne Wonderful review, Julie. And it certainly is a popular book. I requested this a couple of weeks ago at the library and I've still got 17 people ahead of me in the queue. But I'm looking forward to this one, whenever I get ahold of a copy.

Julie Christine Thank you, Suzanne! I hope you enjoy this.

Shana Norris I'm glad I read your review before I got too far into this. I was expecting what you say NOT to expect. I think I enjoy books much more when I'm not reading them with a kind of (unfulfilled) expectancy.

Joan I, too, loved this beautiful story, longing to experience first-hand Le Cirque des Reves. It is one of those books that you just hate to finish!

Carol Julie stated "This is a story for romantics. It is about the power of magic over fate, of love over destiny, of community over individual will. It is told in a dream-like narrative that unfolds within the vault of your imagination as it intersects with Morgenstern's vivid descriptions."

Beautifully expressed.

Julie Christine Carol wrote: "Julie stated "This is a story for romantics. It is about the power of magic over fate, of love over destiny, of community over individual will. It is told in a dream-like narrative that unfolds wit..." Oh, thank you! Such a lovely book.