Darlene's Reviews > The Museum of Extraordinary Things

The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, historical-fiction, history, kindle-library, library-kindle, romance

Alice Hoffman does it again! I am always certain of a deep and interesting read if I pick up something she's written.

This one has well researched historical events and has thrown in the fictional characters making a seamless story. I loved the main characters who felt real, flaws and all.

Of course, this book drew me in as the main character posed as a mermaid. My inner mermaid was overjoyed and scared for this girl as she attempted to fool the public for her father's museum of defected folks that he revamped into scientific anomalies. In the mermaid's case, webbed fingers, has her dad putting her in water most of her life.

The story was played against a backdrop of labor strikes and unhealthy work conditions that causes fires. The other main character is a young man whose father seems deeply depressed. The world has treated his people horrendously. This young man's story plays out near the mermaid's. Though the romance doesn't happen through most of the book, and it doesn't take over the story, get ready, love happens. But it helps the story.

I don't know why I don't want to give this five stars. It is a story I will remember. I guess because overall, it left me depressed. And I wanted more of the happiness these people deserved. Maybe a book two will bring them back? It is depressing history, but necessary to read and learn from. Please give it a read if you get the chance. I was able to pick this up from our e-library. Best way to read books that are normally too expensive for my taste. Enjoy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Museum of Extraordinary Things.

December 2, 2016 – Shelved