Eric Mesa's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: basis-for-tv-show

This book serves as a great introduction to Harry Dresden and the world he occupies. The prose follows the usual tropes of the pulp fiction hard-boiled detective noir updated with 2000s sensibilities and magic. As I mentioned in a status update and a topic on the Sword and Laser community here on Goodreads, Harry shares a trope with the protagonist of Angel's Ink in that he's a Wizard who's been thrown out of the Wizarding community and has a magic probation officer waiting for him to step out of line. Unlike the main character of that other book, Harry is out of the closet (so to speak) about being a Wizard and is actually on retainer to the Chicago Police Department to work on mysterious cases.

Like any good noir detective novel, how good you are at predicting the twists depends on how familiar you are with the tropes. I'd say I figured out about half the twists and clues and was fairly surprised on the others. Somewhere (maybe a blurb when I was buying the book) compared the writing to Buffy and I'd say that is a fairly good assessment; although, it's Buffy without a censor. There's profanity (not too ridiculous to me and I think the people who are most against it probably wouldn't like a book with occult things going on) and some sexual content although it's all walked around - if you know what they're talking about you're old enough/mature enough to be reading that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.

December 2, 2016 – Shelved
December 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 3, 2018 – Started Reading
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: basis-for-tv-show
September 4, 2018 –
10.0% "Interesting how on the surface Harry's got such a similar backstory to he wizard in Angel's Ink. I guess it's a trope I didn't know about."
September 4, 2018 –
14.0% "We meet Gang Boss Marcone. I *think* he features in one of the short stories I've read. My guess is that the first customer is related to the police case because that would be most fun."
September 5, 2018 –
22.0% "Harry goes to a Wizard bar, gets a date, and goes to investigate the husband case."
September 6, 2018 –
41.0% "Interview with a Vampire.

Interview with a Former Call Girl."
September 7, 2018 –
60.0% "Chekhov's Love Potion comes off the mantle"
September 7, 2018 –
63.0% "Another heart attack"
September 7, 2018 –
67.0% "Harry goes all Big Bad Wolf.

And it's a shocker given how amiable he's been so far."
September 8, 2018 – Finished Reading