Jake McCrary's Reviews > The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories

The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu

bookshelves: fiction, read_2016, non-tech, read_2019
Read 2 times. Last read December 28, 2016 to December 31, 2016.

This collection of short stories is great. The writing is crisp and the stories are moving. The stories are pretty much all great, speculative fiction.

I particularly enjoyed the author's notes at the end of select stories. These notes often referenced a paper or presentation that served as inspiration for some aspect of the story. The stories that had such notes often had a close-to-reality feeling to them and it was neat to see the reference to the research that connects a bit of the story to the real world.

Here is a review that gives a bit more detail on the various stories found in this book. I enjoyed nearly every story but a few that stand out are "The Regular", "All the Flavors", "The Perfect Match", and "State Change."

It is a great collection. Pick it up and read the occasional story or power your way through the entire collection.

------------------

I read this collection again a few years after the first read. It is still great. This time I jumped around and picked out stories based on how long I wanted to read. This worked out well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories.

December 1, 2016 – Shelved
December 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 9, 2016 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
December 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
December 28, 2016 – Started Reading
December 31, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction
December 31, 2016 – Shelved as: read_2016
December 31, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: non-tech
June 10, 2019 – Started Reading (ebook Edition)
June 15, 2019 – Shelved as: read_2019
June 15, 2019 – Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
December 31, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction (ebook Edition)
December 31, 2019 – Shelved as: non-tech (ebook Edition)
December 31, 2019 – Shelved as: read_2019 (ebook Edition)