Mikaela's Reviews > The Soldier

The Soldier by Grace Burrowes

F 50x66

The Book: The Soldier by Grace Burrowes

The Particulars: Historical Romance, Sourcebooks, available both in print and e-book

The Review:

The blurb:
This Regency era battle of wits, wills, and the sexes features a wily duke determined to see the succession of his line secured. The duke can't force his sons to marry, but he can make their lives miserable until they do. Resisting his pressure, each gentleman holds out for true love.
The second book in the series features Devlin St. Just, the duke's oldest, but illegitimate, son. He arrives at his new estate weary in body and spirit only to find the previous owner's bastard daughter and her beautiful cousin are his responsibility and making his life almost unbearably complicated.

My impressions:
I liked Grace Burrowes first book, so when Sourcebooks offered the sequel at a discount I snatched it up. And I loved it. Grace Burrowes made me feel like I was there, watching as Devlin and Emma’s love story unfolded. It is nice, quiet tale that is more focused on the characters internal struggle, than any external conflict. It should have been boring, but it isn’t. Mainly because the characters. I loved how Devlin struggled with the mental scars he had after returning from the war. Emma had her own issues. And that’s the source of the conflict. The whole plot is driven by their flaws and how that affects their relationship.
That it works is a sign of how good Grace Burrowes is. I am looking forward to the last book in the triology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soldier.

Started Reading