Damaskcat's Reviews > The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths

I received a free copy of this books from NetGalley.

I have read and enjoyed all the Ruth Galloway series and this one is just as good as its predecessors. There is something endearing about Ruth as a heroine in that she doesn't always do everything right and she has the same fears and insecurities as many of us endure. In this tense mystery boiled human bones are found in a tunnel under Norwich and Ruth discovers that they are recent rather than centuries old. The police in the person of DCI Harry Nelson therefore has a murder case on his hands.

DS Judy Johnson wants to talk to a woman who used to sleep rough but it seems she has disappeared - gone 'underground'. Is this just a figure of speech or is she really living underground? There are rumours of a group of people living in the disused chalk mining tunnels under Norwich. Then another rough sleeper is found murdered and the case suddenly looks more complicated.

This is a fascinating read and like all good mysteries I could imagine it happening. Having lived near Norwich at one time I am familiar with the landmarks mentioned and could imagine the action of the story taking place against a real background. I love all the series characters - Judy Johnson and Cathbad, the Druid; DCI Harry Nelson and his wife Michelle; Ruth herself and her small daughter Kate who is very much a personality in her own right. Fans of this entertaining series which combines crime and archaeology will love this latest book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Pit.

December 1, 2016 – Started Reading
December 1, 2016 – Shelved
December 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I love this series and know the area well as I lived in Great Yarmouth as a child and also worked in Norwich. Alan Hunter set his Gently series in the same area

Damaskcat I worked in Norwich for over 20 years and lived mainly in Wymondham. I have read a lot of the Gently series and enjoyed them.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann My first job was in Norwich libraries. Not sure why the televised Gently series is set in the north east.

Damaskcat I haven't seen but that seems like a change too far to me! One of the major points of that series is where it is set.