Lyn's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

A steaming hot cup of whatthef***???

Like Crouch’s 2012 mega hit Pines, it’s hard to say much without fatal spoilers, but trust me and 90% of the readers who’ve read and enjoyed this – it’s a wild ride.

Scientist and professor Jason Dessen is abducted in a back alley in Chicago and his life is changed irrevocably. Crouch explores the concepts of the multiverse and also about identity, relationships, and existentialism.

I read a Heinlein short story years ago (and have forgotten the title) where people could choose to live on a seemingly infinite collection of worlds, each connected to the “real” world but all different, from subtle nuances to wildly and dangerously dissimilar. This is also vaguely reminiscent of Poul Anderson’s 1965 novel The Corridors of Time, though Crouch steers clear of outright time travel. And that’s a good thing because if he added time travel to the mix, our heads would explode.

It started weird, got weirder and then Crouch tapped the nitro button and fishtailed ludicrous speed into REALLY WEIRD.

Fans will also see influences from Philip K. Dick and the 1999 Spike Jonze film Being John Malkovich came to mind.

I see that film rights have already been sold and Crouch is working on the screenplay. It should be a cool movie.

Recommended.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

December 1, 2016 – Started Reading
December 1, 2016 – Shelved
December 3, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Elyse  Walters Good right!! :)

Apatt Great review, Lyn. I 'm waiting for the e-book price to come down before I buy it! :D

message 3: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn ;)

Philip Great review. It will definitely be a cool movie.

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Philip

message 6: by muthuvel (last edited Dec 05, 2016 10:27AM) (new)

muthuvel I guess the short story you're referring is, "By his Bootstraps" by Heinlein.
And nice review BTW :)

message 7: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn That's one, and you're right, thanks Muthuvel, but it was another, I think it was in an anthology of short stories. I'll have to find it. Thanks!

Matthew "A steaming hot cup of whatthef***???"

message 9: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn ;)

Michelle "A steaming hot cup of whatthef***???" Couldn't have said it better. :)

message 11: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Hehe, your first sentence exactly! :-D

message 13: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elaine Exactly.

message 16: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn ;)

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Van Valer I can’t pass up “a steaming hot cup of whatthef***???” I read the first of the Pines books and liked it. Will have a look at Dark Matter.

message 18: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn it's a great book

Denis Was it RAH's "Elsewhen"? I am currently reading "Dark Matter" .

message 20: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Great guess Denis, but that's not it - I think it was a story in The Past Through Tomorrow

Tammy This was fun, Lyn. Glad you liked it!

message 22: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 23: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H I'm about to start on this and not reading any reviews until after. Glad you liked it!

message 24: by Mustafa (new)

Mustafa my rating is meh!

message 25: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony Wow! Liked your review so much that I ordered the book from eBay and finished it a few hours ago.

Again, Wow!

Add to what you wrote, a bit of the old sic-fi tv show Sliders.

Review to come soon.....

And, as a P.S., Why won't these portable devices ever let a person type what he wants To type?

message 26: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Tony, glad you liked it, looking forward to your review