Scott K's Reviews > The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness

The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

Jul 07, 2011

bookshelves: living, theology, grace, christianity, cirriculum, navpress, prison-ministry, jerry-bridges, discipleship
Read from August 18 to October 04, 2011

I give it 5 stars but I prefer the word awesome versus amazing. Awesome in that Jerry Bridges does a great teaching of God's grace, His discipline and the need to preach the gospel to ourselves, as in believers, daily.

Bridges writes in a manner that is easy to grasp and retain for those who like me can't easily grasp those deep thinking theologians. That is not to say Bridges is not a deep thinking theologian, he is and shows it by taking the deep to shallow waters for us who zone out when reading in deep waters.

This is only the second book I've read by Jerry Bridges (the other being 'Gospel for Real Life') but his ability to teach solid gospel in 'shallow waters' led me to use three of his books; The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the liberating Power of the Cross, Growing Your FAith: How to Mature in Christ and Trusting God Even When Life Hurts as part of the curriculum in the Discipleship 101 program I teach in Soldiers of Christ Prison Ministries, the ministry God has called me to steward.

If you are like me and feel the challenge of reading books that go deep and comprehending was is written, give Jerry Bridges series of books a try.

As an FYI the reason it took 2.5 months to read is it was read as a weekly group study.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Discipline of Grace.

08/24/2011 page 81