Liza Wiemer's Reviews > The You I've Never Known

The You I've Never Known by Ellen Hopkins

3152001

bookshelves: arc, received-from-the-publisher

Blog tour and giveaway going on right now: Please go to http://www.whorublog.com/2017/01/25/b...

The You I've Never Known is filled with emotional punches, and it's impossible not to be deeply effected by them in the best way. This story is brilliantly woven into a slow revelation of personal as well as sexual identity. Themes of friendship, love, loyalty, teen pregnancy, and family are key elements. Who am I? Who loves me? What does it mean to be loved? What IS love?

Abuse also comes into play, explored and revealed so that the victim comes to realize what she thought of as love was really anger, control, hate.

------Deep breath. This book. So much emotion. So many powerful messages. So important.

Once again, Ellen Hopkins pens characters who feel so real, it take imagination to believe that they don't really exist, that you're reading about them in a novel, not a journal of their life. Ariel is at the center of this story and readers will feel her confusion, her attraction, her sense of loyalty, friendships, love, fear. Her father is a despicable person. I have so many emotions wrapped up with him that I may need to amend this review later as I process my emotions.

From Monica to Zelda to Gabe to Hillary, I love each of these secondary characters for different reasons. Each one has a very special role in Ariel's lives. They change her profoundly. You need to read this novel to understand each one's impact.

And then there's Maya's story—at first separate, but then it converges into Ariel's. PAINFUL! POWERFUL! DEEPLY MOVING! Sad. But then again, HOPEFUL.

Ellen Hopkins never shirks away from the tough topics. Be prepared to think. I highly, highly recommend this novel and all of her novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The You I've Never Known.

November 30, 2016 – Shelved
November 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: received-from-the-publisher
January 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Tour Signups: THE YOU I'VE NEVER KNOWN by Ellen Hopkins -- http://bit.ly/2iRDwQf -if you'd like to participate. ;)