HєllyBєlly's Reviews > Texas Gothic

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Information to the author of this book: I know that people in the US sometimes confuse Sweden with Switzerland. After all, they are two countries in Europe, who both begin with SW... Bit like Missouri and Michigan, you could say.. same-same really, or not?

I'd just like to let you know that Alfred Nobel was a Swede and every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace. The Nobel Prize is an international award administered by the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden.
If you didn't know that, your editor should have known. (It is easy to google).

This -in my opinion- fatal factual error jarred me out of your story, which I sampled free from Amazon. Not sure I want to buy the book now. Going off to sulk for a while. Maybe I'll change my mind. The cover is beautiful, after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Texas Gothic.

July 7, 2011 – Shelved
July 7, 2011 – Shelved as: eagerly-anticipated
July 19, 2011 – Shelved as: cover-lover
July 22, 2011 – Shelved as: badly-written-and-or-edited
July 22, 2011 – Shelved as: annoying-fact-faults
June 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read-or-not-to-is-the-question

message 1: by LLC (new)

LLC OOh. Perfectly reasonable and well written criticism. I liked it.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna Really no point in picking it back up. Starting with an error of that size, it can only get worse.

Jessica to be honest, I didn't notice this in the novel. In my personal opinion, I felt like the story was good and that didn't distract me in the least.

HєllyBєlly I guess we're all distracted by different things - I read that someone was seriously disturbed when reading "Bloodring" by Hunter Faith because she felt the subject of horses was very poorly researched. She was a horsewoman, obviously.

Jessica that is true! and once the spell of the book has been broken, it is very hard to get back into it!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hah! U started it just last night and noticed the same thing. I was pretty angry about it too. Maybe I'll read it at some point, but not right now. That's a deal breaker right there.

Stephanie I noticed the error, too. I read it as a mistake by Amy (the main character) rather than as the author's mistake.

HєllyBєlly Stephanie wrote: "I noticed the error, too. I read it as a mistake by Amy (the main character) rather than as the author's mistake."

Hmm, maybe I should think of it that way, I really liked the set-up for this story.

Emilia I don't know if it was the author's intention, but it does seem like a character mistake. On IMDB, in the goofs section, sometimes there are goofs that are labeled "character error - possibly deliberate." Or it used to be labeled that way, it looks like they changed it.

Anyway, I'm going to Austria and I can't tell you how many people think I'm going to Australia and I even have to clarify at the post office when mailing something! So it doesn't surprise me that a teen girl might mix up Sweden and Switzerland. At least they are on the same continent! It also reminds me of when a character in Trading Places got Germany/Austria mixed up with Sweden.

I didn't mean to harp on the fact that this bothered you, because I totally understand. And yeah, I really like the story so far.

Kendra I'm an American born Swiss, and people I've known for years still forget and think I'm Swedish! I can't speak to this inaccuracy (I read it a year ago), but the rest of the book-- most of it's about forensic archaeology--are 100% accurate. For a subject that is so specialized I was pretty surprised at how much the author knew about it and how well it was described. Just a heads-up if you're still considering giving it a try : )

Julia IMO, the book is not worth your time--or anyone's. That's a pretty flagrant mistake I caught, but I was so disgusted with the mundane and banal setting & characters, that's supposed to be about magic, that I just returned it to library.