Joshee Kun (조수아)'s Reviews > Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: fantasy, physically-owned

Please don't hurt my creatures—they are not dangerous. —Newt Scamander

I practiced the Book Before Movie Policy in my approach to this beautiful screenplay. Why? Because there's just something about the feeling of seeing words come to life before your very eyes. I plan to watch the movie as soon as it's legally released online.

I'm so happy that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was tons better than Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. This is probably because this screenplay was solely written by Lady Rowling. (No offense to Jack Thorne and Co.)

I had never really cared about the magical creatures in Harry Potter, so I'm glad to say that reading this screenplay made me have a paradigm shift. Although I haven't seen them on screen, I already have my favorite fantastic beasts: the Niffler, the Swooping Evil, and the Thunderbird. I probably liked the Thunderbird the most because I was sorted (via Pottermore) into its own Ilvermorny House. I'm definitely coming from a Pokemon fan's POV when I say that I would love to own a Thunderbird in real life. Hmm...it would logically be weak against rock or ice-type beasts. LOL.

In contrast to Cursed Child, Fantastic Beasts didn't have any infuriating characters. I particularly found Newt to be very charming because of his careless, shrewd, and affectionate demeanor. As for Tina, I was quite annoyed with her at the beginning, but she eventually gained my respect. Er, I don't want to talk about Jacob and Queenie because just thinking about their relationship makes me sad. Rest assured, I did like them a lot.

Plot-wise, Fantastic Beasts was highly refreshing and entertaining. It actually contained two/three plot twists, which made me very happy. The ending was bittersweet, but I loved it nonetheless. It's a good thing I have four more screenplays to look forward to. I admit that the franchise somehow reeks of capitalism. However, I really don't care because the Wizarding World never gets old!

Overall, I am very delighted to have read this screenplay. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Trust me. I ain't biased. I'm just a satisfied Potterhead. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

November 30, 2016 – Shelved
November 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 30, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 2, 2016 – Shelved as: physically-owned
December 5, 2016 – Started Reading
December 5, 2016 –
page 36
12.29% "I'm reading the "book" first before watching the movie. :) It's hecka better than that dreadful Cursed Child. :D"
December 7, 2016 –
page 68
23.21% "Newt's happy-go-lucky attitude is so endearing. :D"
December 8, 2016 –
page 154
52.56% "I'm kinda bothered that this book doesn't smell as good as the Harry Potter books I own. Ugh, I sniffed it again, and it smells "artificial." xD"
December 9, 2016 – Finished Reading