Wilhelmina Jenkins's Reviews > Turning White: A Memoir of Change

Turning White by Lee Thomas

Mar 20, 2008

bookshelves: african-american, chronic-illness
Read in September, 2009

I gave this book 4 stars, not because of the quality of the writing but because of the courage of the writer. Lee Thomas, a TV newscaster in Detroit, tells his story of living with vitiligo with honesty and openness. I was impressed that he put full color photographs of himself without makeup into the book - that factor alone increased my rating by one star. I am an African American woman with vitiligo. Like Thomas, I only wear makeup when my skin would be a distraction from what I am doing, which translates to maybe once a year. His story rang very true for me, although I was uncertain as to why his doctors could not relate his Crohn's Disease to his vitiligo - they are both autoimmune and any illness that affects your immune system can lead to vitiligo. I'm sure that this book will help many people, especially young people, who have this condition and are trying not to let it limit their lives. I applaud Lee Thomas for stepping forward and sharing his story and his pictures with others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turning White.