Habrewer's Reviews > Aztec Gold

Aztec Gold by Caridad Piñeiro

Jul 06, 2011

Read from July 06 to 07, 2011

Aztec Gold by Caridad Pineiro
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Cynthia has been through a lot in her life. As a young child, she witnessed her parents being murdered and couldn’t do anything about it. She has grown up into a cautious woman that works in a museum and lives vicariously through the others.

Rafe has a map that is supposed to lead him to the Aztec City of Gold but he and his team disappear without a trace. He depends on Cynthia to keep him grounded, he just doesn’t realize how much until he can’t see or touch her anymore.

I loved this story, it was action packed and combined Aztec history and legends with modern day times. Eztli Etalpalli was a scary demon that liked to play with her victims before she killed them. The description of her body was excellent; you could actually see her standing there before you. The addition of the hieroglyphics was a nice touch; they added credibility to the temple.

Cynthia has to look deep inside her to decide what’s really holding her back and keeping her off the exploration teams. She has to forgive herself for her parent’s death. She feels guilty because she survived and they didn’t. She needs to find Rafe and make things right with him too, if she’s not too late.

I liked Rafe’s character but felt like he could’ve participated more in the death of Eztli Etalpalli since he is supposed to have the power of nahual inside of him. Don’t get me wrong, he is very hot and is making the best out of a bad situation. He could’ve just given up or ran away after his team was attacked but he has remained there to learn more about his powers.

Rafe and Cyn are very hot together and their love scenes are smoking. They have a connection are better together than alone but they have a lot to work through before they can be together.

The secondary characters are limited but each one plays an important part in the outcome of the story. The author does a fantastic job with supplying the reader enough information that you can see the think dense foliage in the jungle that they are trekking through or the temple with the hieroglyphics.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it for anyone that loves Aztec history mixed in with a hot sexy love story. I give Aztec Gold 4 Flaming Hearts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aztec Gold.