Levi's Reviews > Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation

Secret Six by Gail Simone

Nov 30, 2016

it was ok

Hoping to read up on the works of Gail Simone, whose writings I have never before read, I checked out a couple of trade paperbacks from my local library. One of those was this "Secret Six" collection. In this book, a team of supervillains work together to go on missions, when they are targeted by the nefarious Vandal Savage, forcing them to take direct action against him.

It was, in a word, rubbish.

I grant that Simone has a modicum of talent when it comes to writing dialogue and depicting funny situations. But aside from that, it seems like the only way she knows how to get the reader to turn the page is to show someone without their clothes on.

This rampant appeal to shock-value wouldn't be as surprising if it came from another writer. But coming from someone who is supposedly the Goddess of Feminism in cape-comics, it seems just a tad hypocritical.

I always imagined that feminists like Simone were nauseated by the continual pimping of female comic book characters. They of all people should be writing stories which combat the penchant for lady superheroes (and villains) to prance about in impractically skimpy outfits while doing whatever it is they do.

Unfortunately, this book, while mildly amusing at times, left me sick to my stomach. Its perversion of humorously ridiculous bad guy like Mad Hatter left a particularly bad taste in my mouth. In my current survey of comics written by Gail Simone, I only hope that the next few trades I read will be slightly higher in quality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Six.

November 30, 2016 – Started Reading