Bethany's Reviews > Blood Spirits

Blood Spirits by Sherwood Smith

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, 2011-reads

I can't say it's as good as Coronets and Steel, but it's still a good read. The fantasy is more pronounced in this book (ghosts and vampires play a significantly bigger role (ghosts more than vampires in the first 3/4)), but it still doesn't drown out the modern, yet 18th century feeling from the book. It's a little subtle so it doesn't throw you into an urban fantasy or something. The political intrigue is still there as this book revolves around a conspiracy against the 5 families and you learn a little more about the history. She also introduces the need for prisms and their powers too. There is significantly less French/linguistics than the last book, which is sort of nice because now I don't have to sit and ponder what the French phrase was supposed to say. :) The story kept you reading to see what happens page-after-page, but it just doesn't quite make it to the same feeling as the first book. There's possibility for another book, but I wouldn't be surprised if she stops here too. Either way, I'll be sad not to go on or happy for another one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Spirits.