Lenna • Sugar Dusted Pages 's Reviews > The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre

The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine

bookshelves: 2017, 4-stars, arc-2017, fairy-tale, swoonworthy-covers

Heeeyyy, I’m back!! I feel bad I just kind of vanished from the blogosphere for a while without telling anyone, but I was pretty overwhelmed with real life and needed some extra time to catch up for a little bit! (I was also too lazy to announce it.) But I’m so glad to be back now that my life is a little more organized :D.

It was hard not to feel a little nervous going into this book. Gail Carson Levine was my favorite author for years when I was little, and I read and loved all her books. Fairest is still one of my favorite books of all time. So when I saw she had a new book coming out, I was ecstatic!! And terrified!! What if it wasn’t as good?? My reading preferences have changed a lot since I was ten. What if it just didn’t work for me??

But, if you are a Levine fan, I can tell you that this book is just as good as they ever were.

There’s just something about Gail Carson Levine’s writing that I will probably never tire of. It transports me back to when I was little. It is simple and straightforward, but full of feeling and the sweetest kind of magic. (Excuse me while I go cry for no reason.) And maybe the best thing was this book filled me with nostalgia. I think it’s time to go reread all her other books.

One of the most important things about this book is how well the underlying message is woven through it. On its surface this is a fairy tale. But I’m realizing, as I reread Levine’s books now that I’m older, that her books are so much more than that. This one deals with the same kind of themes her others do: prejudice and oppression being some of them. But here’s the thing: Gail Carson Levine does not have an agenda. Her “lesson” is extremely subtle. It is there to add depth, to make the reader think, and to maybe help them become better without forcing them to do any of those things.

I loved all the characters. I loved how kind Perry was, and how much growth she goes through! She changes so much throughout the book, and I loved how that change wasn’t passive. It happens because Perry wants to be better, and wants to learn, and wants to do something good. I really liked how complex all the relationships are, especially the one between Perry and her adoptive mother. I thought parts of that were sweet, and parts were frustrating. I also loved how Perry’s relationship with the rest of her family developed. It was slow, and ARRGH, it was FRUSTRATING at times, but it was definitely well done.

There is just the tiniest hint of romance in this book, and it was perfect. On that note, while this is *technically* MG, it could totally work for teenagers/other YA readers too.

I like how simple the story was. The plot isn’t super complicated or anything, and it’s slower than a lot of other books, but it was also super fun and I was totally engaged. I liked how the Rapunzel fairy tale was included in the book; I wasn’t expecting that!

This book was just so much fun. My only question is, when will she write another??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre.

November 30, 2016 – Shelved
November 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read-fairy-tales
January 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read-fairy-tale
January 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-releases
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 21, 2017 – Started Reading
May 21, 2017 –
0.0% "Excited to finally be starting this lovely book!"
June 4, 2017 –
45.0% "I am so in love with this book it's not even funny. Gail Carson Levine, I love you for not disappointing me and giving me another precious, precious book!!"
June 22, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017