Philip's Reviews > Home

Home by Nnedi Okorafor

did not like it
bookshelves: 2017-releases, novella, fantasy, sci-fi, not-for-me, hugo, hugo-2018, female-author, author-of-color

1.5ish stars.

I thought the first book had potential despite its obvious flaws, but I simply did not like this second installment. Much like the first, it feels like the broad, unfinished sketch of a larger novel. Too much going on and none of it particularly interesting. I miss the Uni, all five minutes of it we get to see in this installment. Not often do I have to skim through such a short book.

Posted in Mr. Philip's Library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

November 29, 2016 – Shelved
November 18, 2017 – Started Reading
November 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Lucille I'm sorry this didn't work for you! I also wished we'd seen more of the u

Lucille Uni*

Philip Lucille wrote: "I'm sorry this didn't work for you! I also wished we'd seen more of the u"

You win some, you lose some. :) I'll wait and read some reviews of The Night Masquerade before I decide if I want to continue.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I love the fact that your review split stars. 1.5ish is a thoughtful, but not ringing, endoresement.

Julie I'm relieved I'm not the only one! Everyone seems to love these books so much that I'm bummed they're not working for me 😭

Elise (TheBookishActress) couldn't agree more. I really think this entire series could be at the Uni and I would adore it, and I enjoy Binti as a narrator, but the plot is all over the place and the worldbuilding just sort of... there.