Barb in Maryland's Reviews > A Lady's Lesson in Scandal

A Lady's Lesson in Scandal by Meredith Duran

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance-goodies, keepers
Read in July, 2011

Ms Duran is on my auto-buy list. I want to say this up front. And the reason she is on that list is because she always delivers the goods, and this book is no exception.
This is really a two part book--the first part (actually about the first 2/3rds of the book) is a 'Pygmalion' story and it is great fun. Nell, long lost daughter of the late Earl of Rushden, has been raised by her kidnapper in dire poverty. Her path crosses that of the new Earl, who sees many opportunities for himself and for her. He proceeds to groom her to assume her position in society. And, oh by the way, that position is that of his wife!
Of course, those of us familiar with Ms Duran's work, keep waiting for the angst to kick in. And in the last section of the book it kicks in with a vengeance!
On the down side--the bad guy is a bit cardboard, though his motives are never in doubt and make perfect sense. But we don't get a sense of him as a real person. I would have liked to have seen more interaction between Nell and her sister. The scenes provided were wonderful, but there should have been more(IMO). [Or is Katherine the heroine in waiting for a future book???]
One real quibble--that title--just another one that doesn't quite fit the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady's Lesson in Scandal.