Sierra's Reviews > The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

The Big Short by Michael   Lewis

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: business

For more than three years since the financial crisis , I've been trying to figure out how did it happened. Every attempt that I made ended in epic fail.This book finally opened my eyes to what lead to the collapse of Wall Street.
I have to say that I'm really shocked by what I have read. Who would ever thought that Wall Street was running by some clowns , unprofessional and greedy people , who were dealing with money as if they were in Vegas. They treated customers like trash ,not to mention that they ripped-off the nation.

Let's not forget the Wall Street elite ,who were only caring about making money no matter what it takes.Cause they know in the end they'll get away with it, along with the massive amount of money they made!!. Those people need to be in prison , they cannot be among us anymore.

I have to say that I'm so jealous of the writing style , especially when it comes to a tough subject like this.

God bless OWS(Occupy Wall Street) movement.I wish you guys the best of luck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Short.

July 6, 2011 – Shelved
May 11, 2012 – Started Reading
May 11, 2012 – Shelved as: business
page 26
9.15% "Wall Street investment banks are like Las Vegas casinos: They set the odds. The customer who play zero-sum games against them may win from time to time but never systematically, and never so spectacularly that he bankrupts the casino."
May 15, 2012 –
May 25, 2012 –
page 160
May 27, 2012 –
page 179
63.03% "One of the reasons Wall Street had cooked up this new industry called structured finance was that its old-fashioned business was every day less profitable"
May 29, 2012 –
page 200
May 30, 2012 –
page 226
June 1, 2012 –
page 253
89.08% "The more sure you were of yourself and your judgement , the harder it was to find opportunities premised on the notion that you were ,in the end, probably wrong."
June 3, 2012 – Finished Reading