Tarah's Reviews > Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead

Daring Greatly by Brené Brown

bookshelves: book-club-books, audiobook, non-fiction

For the first few chapters, I was a skeptic, as I usually am of books like this. I thought I had read something by Brene Brown years ago - around the same time Oprah was recommending books and world views by like authors Elizabeth Gilbert and Sarah Ban Breathnach. I soon realized I had not read her work. I am generally an extrovert and don't have problems with vulnerability and sharing but this book spoke to me on so many levels.

Ours is a world filled with situations and messages that make us ashamed of our bodies, our imperfections and of not living up to the expectations of others and of ourselves. Quite simply this book helps give reasons to believe we are enough. IT's a guide for overcoming fear and living whole-heartedly. It is based on a solid foundation of research by Brown because of her own personal struggles with shame and vulnerability.

At first, I argued that some shame is necessary to know we're doing something that is at odds with our moral or ethical beliefs. She quickly defined that feeling as guilt, which can be good, and is different from shame.

I recommend this book to everyone. I think there is some nugget that will speak to every point of view. Her early research only involved women because she thought shame was more of a female issue, then she realized the differences between male and female shame. Women's is multifaceted, shame over weight and appearance and not being a good mother. Men's tends to come down to one thing - not being a p#ssy.

I thought about skipping the chapter on parenting because I have no children, then found myself weeping as I realized what a wonderful job my mother did - even in the things she did wrong. She had me at 17, how did she know how to do it all so right when she was so young? She gave so much love and support and allowed me room to fail and take risks and be creative. Things Brown says are key.

I will definitely reread this. For some friends and family members with shorter attention spans, I'm recommending they just listen to one of her Ted talks or read some of the shorter material on her web site: brenebrown.com.

I'm considering it as a book club selection. We've never read nonfiction, other than biographies, as a group. It can touch on deeply personal issues, something some will be uncomfortable with but as Brown says, “Connection is why we're here; it is what gives purpose and meaning to our lives. The power that connection holds in our lives was confirmed when the main concern about connection emerged as the fear of disconnection; the fear that something we have done or failed to do, something about who we are or where we come from, has made us unlovable and unworthy of connection.”

Do you think it would be a good book club book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daring Greatly.

November 29, 2016 – Started Reading