Aaron Kleinheksel's Reviews > Game Time: A Baseball Companion

Game Time by Roger Angell

Jul 29, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: sports, history-biography

My 1st taste of Roger Angell, on recommendation of Tom Verducci. Roger is widely considered to be one of the all-time greats of baseball writing, and after reading this book I understand why.

This book is a collection of Angell's baseball columns through the years (1962 up to 2002). He is 96 years old as of this review and still writing about baseball to the best of my knowledge. His depth and breadth of game knowledge, as well as his skill in writing about it, seem to have only grown over the years, as I notice that the stars I placed next to the essays I wanted to read again in this book seem to be more numerous in the later years. His end-of-season synoptics tend to be my favorite, and if a book could be published that just contained all of those, I would buy it. This book gets 3 stars only because I'd read about 1/3 of the book over again. This happens in an anthology I'm afraid. Some essays are close to 5 stars, others are 2.5-3. I'd rate the entire book a 3.49 on average if I could.

I highly recommend Angell to anyone who loves the game of baseball and who also appreciates the history and nuance of the game through the years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Game Time.

November 28, 2016 – Shelved