Katie's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult, favorites

** spoiler alert ** Damn. I don't typically read dystopia novels, but after this one I'm convinced I'll have to change that. This was a non-stop action type of book, lots of violence and the world was a bit crazy (as is probably true in dystopia settings).

Aside from the crazy action scenes, there was quite a bit of romance in this book. I generally prefer romance to be VERY subtle, so the way it's presented here isn't really my thing, but I enjoyed that aspect of the book anyway.

The ending seemed ambiguous, like I wasn't sure if the author was going to follow it up with a second novel. I feel like, yeah, there are loose ends, but a second book isn't necessary. It feels kinda finished anyway, with the way the world ended up. But I checked goodreads, and okay, there will be a second and third novel. With as much as I liked this one, I'll read them.

I haven't read The Hunger Games yet, but I figure since this book had a lot of fighting and Hunger Games is supposed to be similar, they probably have a few things in common. I'm looking forward to reading that series so I can be sure.

One thing that really caught my attention in this novel is it's written in first person present tense, and that's something I haven't come across too often. Even though it stuck out as unusual, it's done well and doesn't distract from the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Katie Liked

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

August 7, 2011 –
page 200
August 8, 2011 –
page 335
68.79% "This book is amazing."
August 9, 2011 – Finished Reading