Donna's Reviews > Carrie Pilby

Carrie Pilby by Caren Lissner

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: dnf, contemporary, young-adult

It sounds pretty quirky and fun but when I got into it, all I got was an irredeemable character that was too good for everyone else and really wasn't willing to change.

I wanted to like Carrie. I really did. But I hated being in her head. I just can't empathize with someone that's genius enough to give Stephen Hawking a run for his money but can't figure out how or why she needs to NOT be a douche to people. Maybe it's because I'm not smart enough to understand that kind of smart. Or maybe I refuse to believe that someone that smart is so lacking in common sense. I've heard the notion that people that smart are void of street smarts and common sense. Maybe I'd like to think a person's parents would do a better job of raising their kid to not be such a prick despite their intelligence. I don't know.

Just her entire perspective on life, how she viewed other people, how she treated other people, how she felt it was her mission to right people and put them in their places, it really bothered me. I can guess that she sees the light at the end of the book but I couldn't stick around to find out. Maybe if the book were in third person it would be a little more tolerable but actually being in first, and being inside her head, I just couldn't get over how crappy of a person she was.

Of course there are multiple sides to a story and I liked the way this story was told; just not who it was about. If you can hang in there long enough you might just like it. You're going to have to put up with a pretty lame person, though. And it's not someone that's lovably lame. Carrie's just ick. I couldn't relate in the slightest. I couldn't see redemption for her and I couldn't hold out any longer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie Pilby.

July 6, 2011 – Started Reading
July 6, 2011 – Shelved
July 6, 2011 –
page 24
7.32% "It's a character-driven book but I'm not sure how much I like the character's voice."
July 7, 2011 –
page 121
July 8, 2011 –
page 168
51.22% "Likely a DNF. I just can't empathize with someone smart enough to be a rocket scientist but can't figure out how not to be a social douche."
July 8, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2012 – Shelved as: dnf
December 23, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
December 23, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary This was a total DNF for me. Couldn't stand the MC.

message 2: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Just the things she thinks are horrible sometimes. I just didn't find her appealing at all.