Kim's Reviews > These Three Remain

These Three Remain by Pamela Aidan

Mar 20, 2008

Read in March, 2008

While cleaning out a closet the other day, I came across two of the many books that have been published in recent years about the characters and story of "Pride and Prejudice." I had read them both a couple years ago. One ("Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife") was horrendous (basically a cheap romance novel in a puffed-up British accent), and the other one was very good--"An Assembly Such as This," the first in a Fitzwilliam Darcy trilogy written by librarian Pamela Aidan. Aidan's books chronicle and expand on the events of P&P from Mr. Darcy's point of view, and "An Assembly Such as This" launched the story very well. After stumbling across it again, I thought it might be fun to finish the trilogy.

After reading other reviews that criticized the second book in the trilogy for being too much filler, however, I jumped ahead and decided to just read the conclusion, "These Three Remain," which picks up the story right before Elizabeth Bennet makes her momentous visit to Rosings Park. In short, I enjoyed every word. Aidan has somehow managed the impossible--to enrich Jane Austen's marvelous story. It was great fun to read, and I thought Aidan captured the characters, setting, and speech very well. I highly recommend it to Austen fanatics!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Three Remain.