Paulina Sanchez's Reviews > Homegoing

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Read 2 times. Last read February 13, 2017 to February 16, 2017.

This was the book chosen for our book club this month and I have to say that I'm very happy about this choice.

This is an epic story, spanning seven generations stemming from two sisters born in Ghana. One sister stays in Ghana and marries a slave trader, while the other becomes a slave and is shipped off to the United States.

It was so impressive to me how Gyasi managed to fit so much history in this book. I have read books about slavery before, Beloved, A Mercy, and Jazz, for example, all dealing with different aspects of slavery, but this one is a perspective that involves not only the slaves in the United States, it also incorporates the perspectives from the West African people that were taken as slaves, the West African people who would take people from enemy tribes as prisoners and would sell them to the British and other colonists, then in the United States we see the journey of the descendants who go through slavery, escape it, only to find more obstacles in a society that views them as less than. It's such a complex book, but it is also quite easy to read and to get involved in the character's problems and hopes.

It is simply a well constructed book that tells a very important story with voices that have been silenced in the history books and which are very much relevant.

I highly recommend this to everyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homegoing.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
November 27, 2016 – Shelved
November 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 13, 2017 – Started Reading
February 13, 2017 –
February 15, 2017 –
February 16, 2017 –
February 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 28, 2017 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)