Jillian Quinn's Reviews > Lost Girls

Lost Girls by Merrie Destefano

bookshelves: favorites, rave-review, arc-review

* I received a copy from the publicist via NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

First, I want to say that I have yet to read a book from Entangled Publishing that has disappointed me. I have loved every book they sent me so far, and Lost Girl is my absolute favorite. I was hooked from start to finish, and even after the book concluded, I was still ready for more. The synopsis for this book could not be more accurate. Lost Girls is in every way Black Swan meets Fight Club. And, it's amazing!

The book opens with Rachel having lost one year of her memories, which was pretty interesting, because for a while, I wasn't sure if it was because of something paranormal or because of her near death experience. I liked Rachel a lot as a narrator, and I rooted for her the entire time.

I love that this is a YA novel that reads like an adult thriller. Until Rachel would mention school, I often forgot that she's in high school because of her maturity and the issues she struggled with. I guess to some extent drugs and partying wouldn't be appropriate for some YA readers, but I also think that's a very realistic high school experience that comes across as very real. Personally, I think that makes sense in YA books, but I know some people would disagree.

Over time, Rachel eventually remembers why she's dating one of the hottest guys in school and why she's friends with the popular girls. she wasn't friends with the year before. I thought her friends would be the mean girls of her school in the beginning and was pleasantly surprised when I saw their relationship develop into real friendships.

I liked the relationship between Rachel and her boyfriend, Dylan. He's not what he seems on the outside. Rachel knows him as the sweet guy who writes poetry and just so happens to be one of the cutest guys in school. But that's not the person the rest of the school knows. The end of the book was really cute. Dylan... What a cutie pie. I wish someone would do that for me because that was so adorable.

I don't want to mention too much about the fight club aspect of this book because I think it's better to find out on your own. I'm glad I didn't read any reviews before I read this book, and I honestly think it's best to go into this story with an open mind and without any previous knowledge of the plot.

If you're looking for a book that will get you out of a reading slump and has so much intensity that you will read through the night, then you need to read Lost Girls. I like that the book had a little bit of teen drama, fight club, mystery, and even a solid friendship and family dynamic. I really liked the writing, and I plan to read more books by Merrie Destefano. The author is also really sweet, which makes it even better when you love a book and can connect with the author on social media.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely! I recommend it to anyone who likes YA contemporaries, mysteries, thrillers, and really anyone who has a pulse and would like to read something worth their time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Girls.

November 27, 2016 – Started Reading
November 27, 2016 – Shelved
November 27, 2016 –
13.0% "So far, I'm devouring this book. What a cool story. I really needed a book that would suck me and not let me go. This is it. I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to find out what's going on and why this girl has lost a year of her memory and can do things she couldn't before. So glad I requested an ARC of this book. :)"
November 27, 2016 –
41.0% "I'm plowing through this book. What an addicting read."
November 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: rave-review
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-review

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

☆Stephanie☆ Entangled is pretty good: I have to agree!