Kathryn's Reviews > Traitor's Moon

Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling

Mar 20, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy

Seregil and Alec have left Rhiminee, and are living in the wilds of Skala, as far from civilization as they can get. Seregil is still recovering from the emotional trauma he suffered at the end of Darkness, and the only person he wants anything to do with is Alec. Alec has finally more-or-less completed his training, and the two are now equals, and lovers. Their idyllic existence is interrupted when Seregil recieves a summons from the Queen of Skala, who asks him to accompany her daughter on a diplomatic mission to his homeland, and act as her advisor and translator for the rest of the party. Seregil agrees, reluctantly, and he and Alec break their self-imposed exile.

This one has a much different tone and is a lot more complicated than it's predecessors. It's more of a political thriller/murder mystery than action-adventure. This time Lynn delves into Seregil's origins, and why he left his homeland. There's a great deal of introspection and angst in this one (what can I say, I love a male lead with a mysterious, tortured past!). We also learn a bit about Alec's shady history, as well, although the main focus is Seregil's struggle to reconcile with himself. It's the strongest book of the three, in my opinion, and even of you didn't like the first two, they're worth reading just so you can get to this one. I know some poeple didn't like it as well as the others, because it was so different, but I think Lynn made a good decision to go the route she did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traitor's Moon.