Anne Pytlak's Reviews > The Field of Fight: How We Can Win the Global War Against Radical Islam and Its Allies

The Field of Fight by Michael T. Flynn

liked it

I think it's important to read the direct source instead of summaries by the news networks, as this man may become our National Security Advisor.

He's experienced, tough, opinionated, and efficient. He's also quick to see the world as black and white, and not the endless shades of gray it truly is.

As a soldier, this makes him an effective warrior. As a security advisor, more diplomatic approaches will be necessary if the US is to be a well respected leader.

I found he oversimplifies certain histories in order to make his point. For example, he thinks Reagan was a strong leader, whereas Carter was a disaster for foreign policy. He criticizes Carter for being weak on the Middle East, but seems to gloss over Iran Contra and the fact that our training and arming of Osama bin Ladin happened in the 1980s.

Again, as a tough military commander, this might not be a big deal...but as someone who serves as an advisor to an inexperienced President with little knowledge of political and military affairs, it may be a significant problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Field of Fight.

Started Reading