Emma Scott's Reviews > From Sand and Ash

From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon

It took far too long to finish I think part of me dreaded where it might go. But whenever I read about the atrocities committed during WWII, I feel, in some measure, as Angelo did. That we have to bear witness however it is presented to us, and never forget. Yes, this story is fiction but not all of it. The worst (and best) parts were real: the horrors and the hope. The inhumanity and the bravery. Woven in between is this story of love and the inherent goodness of people, that is the light in every darkness.

This review isn't going to do it justice by any stretch, but I hope anyone on the fence about reading it takes a chance. You will feel enriched for having done so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Sand and Ash.

November 27, 2016 – Shelved
November 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 3, 2016 – Started Reading
December 7, 2016 –
page 52
13.47% ""How can you compromise with people who don't want you to exist?" \n\nThis. True then. True now. \n\nThis book is incredible."
December 8, 2016 –
page 77
December 8, 2016 –
page 129
33.42% "I feel like this is the calm before the storm. A terrible, inhuman storm."
December 13, 2016 –
page 129
33.42% "So what happened was, Amy Harmon threw a beautiful spirally Hail Mary pass (see what I did there?) right into the end zone and Real Life intercepted and is now running some serious interference. #footballislife\n\nBut I'm dying get back to this gem of a book."
December 18, 2016 –
page 169
43.78% ""rounding up Jews" has to be one of the most horrible combinations of words in the English language."
December 22, 2016 –
page 200
December 30, 2016 –
page 247
63.99% "I'm going slowly but loving every word. \n\n"He didn't know how to heal her or hold her or save her. He didn't know how to be what she needed. All he knew was that he loved her desperately. Desperately.""
January 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lisa Aiello Spot on review....you put it best when you said this book leaves you feeling enriched!

message 2: by Sanaa Z. (new) - added it

Sanaa Z. Fantastic review, Emma! I can't wait to read this! It's been sitting in my kindle for a while now :)

KindleCousins OMG! I've been trying so hard to get to this book. 1 more ARC. Great review!

Emma Scott KindleCousins wrote: "OMG! I've been trying so hard to get to this book. 1 more ARC. Great review!"

It will be worth the wait. :)

Sanaa ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆ wrote: "Fantastic review, Emma! I can't wait to read this! It's been sitting in my kindle for a while now :)"

You won't be sorry! :D

Lisa wrote: "Spot on review....you put it best when you said this book leaves you feeling enriched!"

It really does. I love that; feeling like every minute was well spent and every word seeped in.

Maddie wrote: "Fantastic review, Emma xoxo"

Thanks, Maddie! <3