Petrik's Reviews > The Shadow Throne

The Shadow Throne by Django Wexler

bookshelves: owned-ebooks
Recommended for: Flintlock/military fantasy fans

4.5/5 Stars

Different from its predecessor but in my opinion, a superior book.

The Shadow Throne is the second book in The Shadow Campaign series and it’s really not an exaggeration to say that this is almost a completely different book in comparison to the first book. Where The Thousand Names focused mainly on campaigns and actions, The Shadow Throne centered on a revolution in the city of Vordan; filled with intriguing scheming and politics.

The plot began weeks after the end of the previous book and it’s filled with an abundance of political machinations. Django showed his strength as a writer that actions are not his only strength, he clearly shows us here that his characterizations and plotting are also superb. The only problem I had with the first book was that there are some moments where the action scenes were drawn out for too long without actually focusing on the characters first; this problem vanished completely here.

The actions this time occurred only twice, in the middle and the last part of the book and honestly speaking, they’re really short. In fact, I have a feeling that if you’re someone who gave the first book 5 stars rating, this would probably be a weaker book for you. Luckily I’m not of them. I found the changes in storytelling direction essential for the continuation of the series. This doesn’t mean that the actions are poorly written, the siege sections in this book was intense and well-written, I also think the pacing is much better because of the changes and there are only two small moments that bored me a bit.

The one thing that definitely excels in comparison to the first book is the characterizations. The female characters in this book are very well written, for everyone who’s looking for great LGBT representation in an adult fantasy, look no further, you’ll get it here. Winter is slowly becoming one of my favorite heroines ever, not yet there but she’s on the way. The new POV character, Raiseinia is another well written, but my favorite of the series so far is actually a non-POV character, Janus. Even Marcus, one of the main POV character, is inferior compared to this enigmatic and calm military genius; I can’t wait to find out more about Janus because there’s so much mystery around this guy.

I mentioned earlier there was two moment that bored me in this book. To say it without any spoilers, there was slightly too much romance for my taste and also, the preparation for the final action sequences in this book was drawn out a bit too long while the climax sections lasted only for 5% of the book.

The Shadow Throne is a different kind of book from its predecessor but for me, it was superior to the last book and highly addictive to read. Depending on the remaining three books, there’s a HIGH chance that The Shadow Campaigns will be included in my lonely list of favorite series of all time. Once again, recommended for fans of flintlock/military fantasy.

You can find this and the rest of my Adult Epic/High Fantasy & Sci-Fi reviews at BookNest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Throne.

November 27, 2016 – Shelved
October 14, 2017 – Started Reading
October 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

message 1: by Eon ♒Windrunner♒ (last edited Oct 17, 2017 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Another fittingly great review Petrik!

Petrik Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Another fittingly great review Petrik!"

Megan Yes! Completely agree with you about thinking this was better than the first. And Winter is such an incredible character. So glad you enjoyed it! 😄

Petrik Megan wrote: "Yes! Completely agree with you about thinking this was better than the first. And Winter is such an incredible character. So glad you enjoyed it! 😄"

Thank you Megan! I loveeee Winter!!! Cant wait to see more of her journey! I'm starting Price of Valor in a few hours! :D

message 5: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss I really want to start this series! Glad you are enjoying them.

Em Lost In Books Excellent review Petrik. I love Winter and Marcus but it's Janus who always end up stealing away all the glory. And what a character he is! Intriguing and mysterious..

Petrik C.P. wrote: "I really want to start this series! Glad you are enjoying them."

Thank you Courtney! really great series so far! Hope it continues to get better!

Petrik Manju wrote: "Excellent review Petrik. I love Winter and Marcus but it's Janus who always end up stealing away all the glory. And what a character he is! Intriguing and mysterious.."

Thank you Manju!! Janus is amazing! His character's personality is very fleshed out already! :D

message 9: by Samir (new)

Samir Great review Petrik :) I'm glad you're enjoying the series :)

Petrik Samir wrote: "Great review Petrik :) I'm glad you're enjoying the series :)"

message 11: by Samir (new)

Samir Petrik wrote: "Samir wrote: "Great review Petrik :) I'm glad you're enjoying the series :)"

Thank you Samir! It's a great series, seems like it will be better than Powder Mage!"

That is what everyone keep telling me.

message 12: by Derpa (new)

Derpa Reading your (and other awesome reviewers') opinions here makes me turn into my own dog. She has 3 second attention span, one moment she is doing this, then doing that, then hearing a noise, then chasing her toy. I'm like that now. "I need to read this NOW! And that, and that, but no, this one and the next." :D

Petrik Derpa wrote: "Reading your (and other awesome reviewers') opinions here makes me turn into my own dog. She has 3 second attention span, one moment she is doing this, then doing that, then hearing a noise, then c..."

Oh my god Derpa, i laughed so hard reading your comment. Thank you so much for making my day xD at first I was like "why is she saying she become a dog?" And then the realization hits and "ahhh i see" :'D

message 14: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Great review! I look forward to reading this one soon.

message 15: by Derpa (new)

Derpa Petrik wrote: "Derpa wrote: "Reading your (and other awesome reviewers') opinions here makes me turn into my own dog. She has 3 second attention span, one moment she is doing this, then doing that, then hearing a..."

You know when people say reading will make you understand others more? In my case it helped with understanding small size, hyperactive dogs.
But hey, at least it's fun. :D

Petrik Veronica wrote: "Great review! I look forward to reading this one soon."

Thanks Veronica!! I look forward to hear your thoughts on this one! :)

Petrik Derpa wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Derpa wrote: "Reading your (and other awesome reviewers') opinions here makes me turn into my own dog. She has 3 second attention span, one moment she is doing this, then doing that,..."

Hahahaha that's so awesome! but hey, as long that it's fun! xD

Travis Awesome review!! Seeing you reading this series is crushing my insides because I want the final book so bad!!!

Petrik Travis wrote: "Awesome review!! Seeing you reading this series is crushing my insides because I want the final book so bad!!!"

Thank you Travis!!! Hahah i hope you'll get it soon!! Or if not, less than three months to go! :)

William E. Glad you're enjoying! Eagerly waiting on the final book :D

message 21: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Wonderful review, my love!! Hope the series continues to please!!

message 22: by TS (new)

TS Chan Excellent review, my friend! Your 'experimentation' with a shorter review is working well. 😉

Petrik William wrote: "Glad you're enjoying! Eagerly waiting on the final book :D"

Thank you William! I hope the wait will be worth it! :D

Petrik Celeste wrote: "Wonderful review, my love!! Hope the series continues to please!!"

Thank you love!! Fingerscrossed!!

Petrik TS wrote: "Excellent review, my friend! Your 'experimentation' with a shorter review is working well. 😉"

Thank you my friend! Haha this experimentation works quite well for middle books but I dont think i can do it for the last book of a series. XD

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Petrik wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Another fittingly great review Petrik!"

Thank you my friend! I'm experimenting myself a bit with shorter review for this series xD"

I really like it!

message 27: by Silvana (new)

Silvana too much romance? oh no. now I am not sure whether I should read the trilogy or not...

Petrik Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Another fittingly great review Petrik!"

I really like it!"

Thank you!! :)

Petrik Silvana wrote: "too much romance? oh no. now I am not sure whether I should read the trilogy or not..."

IMO it is. Well it's not actually that much but i'm just generally not a fan of romance in the book i read xD let's see if the next book will fix t or not. Also, this is not a trilogy Sil, it' a 5 book series! XD

message 30: by Silvana (new)

Silvana That's another thing we have in common: less romance plz. Five books? Dang.

Petrik Silvana wrote: "That's another thing we have in common: less romance plz. Five books? Dang."

High five!! yeah, quite a big series. Other than the little romance everything is great though :D

Lancer the romance definitely takes a back seat to everything else. It is a part of the plot but not the entire plot. I am also someone who hates tacked on romance that is unnecessary to anything else. The romance in these books has not bothered me. Agree about Janus, the fact he has been able to stretch his mystery and whatnot over the entire series impresses me.

Petrik sir Lancer wrote: "the romance definitely takes a back seat to everything else. It is a part of the plot but not the entire plot. I am also someone who hates tacked on romance that is unnecessary to anything else. Th..."

It didnt bother me, but it 'bored' me quickly. I'm in the third book, halfway through and i'm happy the romance finally died down even more now. And for Janus, completely agree with what you said, i feel likr we wont completely find out about him til rhe last book but that's okay! :D

Lancer The romance definitely becomes more subdued after the second book. It's still there in pieces but not as much. I'm also a pretty big Marcus fan, love how he is just always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

message 35: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Marcus was my favorite from the first book!

Petrik sir Lancer wrote: "The romance definitely becomes more subdued after the second book. It's still there in pieces but not as much. I'm also a pretty big Marcus fan, love how he is just always in the wrong place at the..."

Hahahahah Marcus is so unlucky! and dense about Winter's gender oh my god xD

Petrik Veronica wrote: "Marcus was my favorite from the first book!"

I think you're going to love him even more in the next books! :D

message 38: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Thanks for this review. I was honestly on the fence about whether to continue reading this series at the conclusion of The Thousand Names. I enjoy some amount of strategy and tactics in my fantasy, but crawling through the Great Desol was soooooo boooooring I almost gave up. I didn't feel any of Janus' urgency because I didn't understand the artifact he was chasing or who Duke Orlanko was. Then at the climactic ending I was interested to continue, but still wasn't sure if the second book would be worth my time.
It's great to hear that The Shadow Throne switches gears and does a better job at characterization. You basically described my exact issues with the first book and told me that they're fixed.
Now I'm excited for a good read!

Petrik Lindsay wrote: "Thanks for this review. I was honestly on the fence about whether to continue reading this series at the conclusion of The Thousand Names. I enjoy some amount of strategy and tactics in my fantasy,..."

You're welcome! Yeah, that action in the first book was too long for its own good. The characters involved in the march weren't even well fleshed out yet that it makes me really devoid of feelings about it! Imo the second book does a better job, I hope it will be the same case for you, Lindsay! :)