Sara's Reviews > Back To Good

Back To Good by Laura McCarthy Benson

I am kind of in awe of this debut effort! It isn't often that I pick up a book and read it cover to cover without stopping, but that is exactly what I did with this book.

So let's talk about Charlotte. Charlotte is an interesting character. She's just 23 and working her dream job. She has a history with a rock star, who is her ex, and his best friend, who she hated way back when. Now suddenly, she is in charge of PR for said rock star, Joey. Charlotte made me crazy. She was back and forth about her feelings for both Joey and Mathew. She starts this thing with Matthew, which was unexpected. I'll give her that. She's getting all this pressure from every direction. Truthfully, I think she handled the whole mess just like a 23 year old would. However, that does not mean I didn't want to smack her upside the head more than once. But, then, I believe a great character brings out those emotions in a reader.

Joey was a hot mess. I kept waiting for it to be revealed that he had a mental illness. The guy was so hot and cold and up and down, I was getting dizzy. Oddly enough, the resolution of his story was kind of fitting. Please don't kill me for what I just typed when you read the book. I just tell the truth, folks.

Finally, we have Matthew. Honestly, I had the guy pegged from his first appearance in the book. That didn't make him any less alluring. The guy is sex on a stick with his smoldering glances and sexy stares. Benson did a great job of writing him. I figured out something nefarious he had done and was kind of surprised that when the big Reveal happened it wasn't more of an issue. It was pretty much brushed over and that kind of bothered me.

I was torn from beginning. I rooted for Joey and Matthew. I honestly couldn't decide who I wanted her with until the night of Joey's concert. Then, I made up my mind...fast. The tension between these three was palpable all the way through. This was slow burn at its finest.

Fair warning, this is a love triangle at heart. I know many people don't care for love triangles, but really, you would be remiss if you missed this book just for that.

I am putting this on my list of 2016 Top Reads! It was that darn good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back To Good.

Finished Reading