Heather Marie's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends

2078516
Jul 05, 2011

bookshelves: memoirs-and-biographies
Read from July 20 to 25, 2011

Overall, a very solid autobiography. In the wave of celebrity memoirs, you don't always know what to expect. Yet Rob Lowe is (unsurprisingly) intelligent, well spoken and funny.

My favorite parts were those where he delved deeper: when he talked about his family, when he examined his alcoholism, his relationships (particularly with his wife and with celebrity), and I loved the chapters that he spent detailing the grueling and exhilarating process spent auditioning, filming and coming away from The Outsiders.

After his career started to pick up, so did the pace of the book. The narrative grew a bit choppier (although, I guess the title of the book is Stories I Only Tell My Friends, and one could see the connection with shorter passages), and some detail vague. I longed for more. Names were named but not all.

I closed the book feeling satisfied. I feel like Rob Lowe did a fine job telling his own story, and he came off looking great because of it. While reading it, I was compelled to keep reading, to share his stories with my friends. I loved sharing his excitement as he went for a part in The Outsiders and seeing all of these famous names as they rose in fame along with him.

It is by no means perfect, as it is an autobiography from an actor, but it is a reflection on a life and on an industry from an insider. In that respect, I believe it at least deserves at least 3.5/4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

07/20/2011 page 53